Workbench wood suggestions

nerdbot

Just a side note: Eastern Hard Maple is usually a euphemism for Red Maple (Acer Rubrum) --- a Soft Maple.

Rubrum is harder than most of the members in the Soft Maples, but only about 2/3rds as hard as Black, Sugar or Rock Maples (the Hard Maples)... It's on-par with Big Leaf (Western Maple)...

==>soft maple was all the rage when I was building mine.  I got swept up onto the bandwagon.

I remember those threads... I went w/ Saccharum and being told I was wasting my money... I bet half the Guild built in Soft Maple...

Edited by hhh

Well softwoods are generally more dimensionally stable than hardwoods, so that is another reason (since you asked) to go with a softwood.  

Maybe if you're talking slabs.  But once you move into laminated bench tops that advantage is basically moot as well.  Try again. :)

All kidding aside...

If you're going to get into hand tools (or think you are), then it comes down to mass and stock holding...

The more experience I acquire, the more that I realize that it doesn't really matter what bench you use: Shaker, French, Scandinavian, whatever --- or one the mashups that are becoming popular -- it's mass and stock holding...

I did my BC Roubo in 12/4 QS Hard Maple top with Pennsylvania Black Cherry base... Normally, I'd have used the Maple throughout, but I got 300bf of 95% 8/4 PBC for 1.65/bf (essentially free) and thought it would look great after 40+years of hard use...

If I ever need to build another, I'd go with a mashup of the French and Scandinavian benches in all Hard Maple... Sort of a Klasuz meets Roubo... I'd add two tiers of drawers instead of the shelf which would still leave 8" clearance for holdfasts... I'd still use square dogs because I like the look -- other then that, they make no sense whatsoever...

2c

If not hard maple, I would use white oak because I like the way it smells and these benches require a metric butt load of milling.  Hard maple smells like wet underpants when it is is being cut.   

White oak smells good, hard maple smells good unless your burn it, and no comment on the underpants. 

White oak smells good, hard maple smells good unless your burn it, and no comment on the underpants. 

And I guess it depends on the origin of the underpants? Depends probably wasn't a good word to use here!  Probably best we get back to the original subject, huh?

Edited by K Cooper
  • Like 1