Oscillating Spindle Sanders

protectedvoid

So, I've been using drum sanders on my drill press, and they do a fairly good job. I've been considering purchasing a bench-top oscillating spindle sander and would like everyone's input on which brands & sizes to consider. As much as I'd love to have a floor model, space is at a premium and will be for the next few years, so I'm looking for good quality and power in a compact unit with a solid, durable top.

Thanks.

That one is EASY. The Ridged is a great bench top sander. I've had one for years. One of these days, I'm gonna get a floor model, though, only because I do have room and would like the larger drums they provide. But, the Ridgid IS a great little machine. Great dust collection, too.

I've owned the JET benchtop spindle sander for a number of years and couldn't be happier with it. It costs about twice as much as the Rigid, but it weighs about twice as much too. At 80-some pounds, I treat it as a stationary machine because it is a real beast to get on and off the bench. The operation is smooth and quiet, probably the quietest power tool in my shop. One consideration is that you can buy a 3" spindle as an accessory. I'm not sure how many of the other benchtop machines have this option. I don't own it, but oftentimes wish I did, because the larger radius would be nice for smoothing gentler curves without digging in. If you want to see it in action, it makes a brief appearance in this video about a quarter of the way through the video.

Rory

I will throw in my vote for the Rigid. Although I don't really like the knob for tightening down the spindles, it is small and hard for me to grip, I am very happy with it. I dithered about getting one cause my space is kinda tight but now that I have it, I am thrilled. It is small enough to put away, which is what I had planned to do, but it has been so useful, it has been out ever since. I have only had it 2 months and already have several hours of use out of it.

One concern I had was the gap between the sandpaper and the part of the table that tilts, in practice this was not a problem. I tilted the table to 7 degrees and cleaned up some beveled sides on box lids and they all turned out perfect.

The edge sander is my most used by far, I thinned some spline material to fit the kerf, and did the flush sanding with it.

I also have the Ridgid. I love how you can switch out the spindles in just a few seconds. The belt is great too. Dust collection is ok, it gets the dust away from the spindle for the most part. Sometimes piles of dust appear though, especially when using the belt. The table has angled stops so you can sand at different angles. Its a slick little device.

Thanks guys. Keep the suggestions coming. I've been back and forth between the rigid and the jet, so any feedback on those or others is definitely most appreciated. The cost for the Rigid + the fact it's both an edge and spindle sander are definitely big pluses.

+1 on the rigid. i bought mine on craigslist for $100 or $125, and it came with a craftsman stand and a extra set of abrasives. it was only used a few times, only 1 tube was used on it.

So, I've been using drum sanders on my drill press, and they do a fairly good job. I've been considering purchasing a bench-top oscillating spindle sander and would like everyone's input on which brands & sizes to consider. As much as I'd love to have a floor model, space is at a premium and will be for the next few years, so I'm looking for good quality and power in a compact unit with a solid, durable top.

Thanks.

Triton make a good one, got it at woodcraft, no complaints and it was cheap. Triton make good stuff, got their router too, liked it.

• 2 weeks later...

After a lot of reading and looking through this thread(plus looking at it in Home Depot a week ago) I finally decided to go with the Rigid EB4424 and I placed a order for it tonight..Like the idea that's its 2 tools in one and for the price that sounds good to me..I ordered it online as the shipping was cheaper than me driving 160 miles round trip to pick it up... :blink:

Scott