Jet 16-32 drum sander won't start

estesbubba

Ran it 2 days ago and no problems and today the conveyor runs but motor won't start. I took the cover off the switch and found a ground wire came off and reattached it. Turned the motor on and still nothing. Took the motor connection cover off and measured 122 volts going to it so switch seems fine. Got the manual out and found this.

Check plug connection. Make sure fuse is not blown/circuit breaker is not tripped. Push the circuit breaker button on the sander motor to re-set. 

I've looked all around and can't find a breaker button anywhere. Anyone know where it is? Is there any way to test the start capacitor? What are the next troubleshooting steps? 

Went out there again and still can't find a reset button anywhere. Took the switch box apart and noticed the hot wire has some burn on the insulation. This wire was right next to the ground wire that came off. Do you think that if the ground came off while running it could have damaged the motor or start capacitor? 

F0A7C963-8184-42A9-A921-AD9CB6035897_zps

I have the Performax 16/32 predecessor . The circuit breaker has only popped when I ran the machine almost all day and the motor got hot. It has a Leeson motor and the breaker is under the motor on the end of a square electrical connection box. (Jet may have used different motors )

If your switch checks out I have gotten motors with a bad start capacitor to run by spinning the motor real hard before flipping the switch.

Can you find a wiring diagram? Does the switch control from the hot side or the ground?  If it is switching ground, you could still have 120 to the motor with a faulty switch.

if you find the wiring diagram, post it up. I'm sure we could work through it.

image.jpg

This is the only crappy one the manual has.  I suspect the lock out key on the switch. 

2 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Check the voltage past the switch with it in the on position if you can do it safely.

Steve with the switch on it's 122V at the motor terminals. 

2 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Can you find a wiring diagram? Does the switch control from the hot side or the ground?  If it is switching ground, you could still have 120 to the motor with a faulty switch.

if you find the wiring diagram, post it up. I'm sure we could work through it.

image.jpg

This is the only crappy one the manual has.  I suspect the lock out key on the switch. 

P34 here

http://content.jettools.com/assets/manuals/629004_man_EN.pdf

2 hours ago, K Cooper said:

I'm surprised we haven't heard from the Supermax owners.

Just because you have an extra 3" doesn't mean you can troubleshoot motors...:o

Wall outlet is fine. I actually had a circuit in my house that had the same hot/neutral reversed and the problem ended up being a loose neutral in the panel so tonight I'll check all the white wires. There is a circuit board int he switch box but my guess is it's just for the SmartSand feature. I'm hoping the normal switch on the front of the box doesn't go through the circuit. 

1 minute ago, estesbubba said:

Took the switch off and pushed all the connections tight. Noticed the outlet did have hot/neutral reversed and fixed that. Put back together and runs now. Ran 9 years being wired wrong and don't know why it suddenly mattered. Could have been one wire was a little loose.

Oh well feels good to be back in business and not have to fork any money out. 

Good on Ya dude!  Glad you got it resolved, inexpensively. 

39 minutes ago, estesbubba said:

Took the switch off and pushed all the connections tight. Noticed the outlet did have hot/neutral reversed and fixed that. Put back together and runs now. Ran 9 years being wired wrong and don't know why it suddenly mattered. Could have been one wire was a little loose.

Oh well feels good to be back in business and not have to fork any money out. 

Sounds like it was very possible that you had a loose connection. Especially with the burnt wire. Loose connections cause resistance, and resistance causes heat. Glad you got it figured out.