Found used Powermatic 8" Jointer Model 60 - any good?

rkrueger

Seriously meant slid the jointer. I put a sheet of OSB so I wouldn't catch on anything. My son was there but only guided and lifted nothing. My Astro floor was the right height for minimal lifting of only one end at a time. The thing slid surprisingly well on the OSB. So well that I needed to strap it to drive home. 

13 minutes ago, sjeff70 said:

For a table saw, not a jointer.  Take off the wings of course.

Homemade piano dolly worked for me with my table saw. 

Speaking of hand trucks, I bought one of these thinking it was way too big to use for many things, but the extra height gives amazing leverage, and the big wheels will even roll up and down steps easily.  It makes the regular sized one seem like a toy.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/hand-truck-1000-lb-capacity

we use something like this for moving the jointer in and out of a house on:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/jobsmart-800-lb-furniture-dolly?cm_vc=-10005

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

Seriously meant slid the jointer. I put a sheet of OSB so I wouldn't catch on anything. My son was there but only guided and lifted nothing. My Astro floor was the right height for minimal lifting of only one end at a time. The thing slid surprisingly well on the OSB. So well that I needed to strap it to drive home. 

Homemade piano dolly worked for me. 

You can tip a table saw onto a piano dolly.  What is that 4-5 " high?

9 minutes ago, sjeff70 said:

You can tip a table saw onto a mobile base?    

Any big tool can be walked. Jack giant ones or tip smaller ones and insert slabs of plywood. A few lifts later and you can slide off or onto rolling carts that steer from all four corners. In my view this is the only way I want to move a lot of what I need to move. 

My uncles advice for loading any heavy object into a truck is that you pretend you are stealing it and you will come up with a fast and easy approach.

In the past I made up some two caster dollies that I could put under each end of a load, make them wide enough so they won't tip and roll out once the load is on them.

For something with legs you can sometimes tip the load one way and get a piece of thick plywood under just about all the way then tip the other way and walk it on, then with two sets of the casters you can get one under each end. Run a deck screw through the plywood into the carrier for the casters if you are concerned about it sliding.

Levers, fulcrums and teetering balance points are your friends.

Vancouver Island BC

4 minutes ago, Tom King said:

My two helpers are power lifters.  They just pick it up, and I slide the dolly under.  Then it gets rolled into the loader bucket and set on the trailer.

That's great Tom, my friends aren't good for much except for working long hours.  Doesn't help me though.  We have a good time but they offer no extra life building skills. 

6 hours ago, rkrueger said:

So for another $150 I could get brand new, an extra HP, and delivered to my house?
How is the quality on Grizzly jointers?

Like everything else, some good, some bad. But the cost means your likelihood of getting a lemon is higher. Eric bought one, it wasn't the greatest. Sold it to me, I've owned it 3 months now and used it just a couple of times because of motor issues. I will probably replace the motor on it. I got it for a good price though, even with a motor purchase I come out on top. 

If there was a $1000 powermatic nearby, I'd have bought that over Griz, I'm sure. 

• 5 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...