10'-0" Maple Table

Marcel.F

Bonjour,

I'm new to the forum and thought I'd start off by sharing my last build and first big build. It's a 10'-0" X 40" X 1-1/4" hard maple table top with 3"X 6" Ambrosia (?) Maple legs. I'm pretty sure that just sugar maple that's been infected by the ambrosia beetle, which explains the deep colouring grain patterns. I have proof that it was kiln dried so I'm not worried about any little guys hibernating in there somewhere.

The top is made of 5 separate boards. The center one started to split after I brought it in the house. So I inlaid 3 cherry bow ties to try and stop it from progressing.

The legs are mortis and tenon and the long cross brace is basically finger jointed to the short cross pieces.

There are several little mistakes I made along the way, but I managed to work around them and any flaws that I know of aren't noticed by my family and guests. So it's a nice tap on the back and ambition to keep working till I myself can't find my mistakes.... hahaha

Here's some pics and a link to a short video I posted on Twitter

e1f8deb277b802687202029986754b0e.jpg

b1f08f31321e9433d9cdbb5e8287bdc0.jpgab33b2c958919cafdab71a0dbe0ce972.jpgb5896c20e2c27dea762ec20d807a2968.jpg0d8968ea028ca8f5c124bfa222c0824e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh and I applied 5 coats of 3 part tung oil, poly and mineral spirits blend in the entire project.

Check out the grain in the legs it's pretty cool stuff.

47b48f24ca6e50412a8f19fe66be337a.jpg

• Like 2

Beautiful job on the table, it looms awesome !!

With a name like Marcel and the "bonjour", i have to ask where you are from?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I'm from Northern Ontario. Roughly 375 miles (600km) north of Toronto. It's still very cold here and we got more snow than we know what to do with hahaha.

Marcel---

Beautiful job on the table, it looms awesome !!With a name like Marcel and the "bonjour", i have to ask where you are from?

I'm from Northern Ontario. Roughly 375 miles (600km) north of Toronto. It's still very cold here and we got more snow than we know what to do with hahaha.

Marcel---

Cool ! Figured you were Canadian. Im from montreal.

The massive timbers in the base are impressive. I haven't seen ambrosia stock available in those sizes in my area. The crack and bow ties enhance the top and prove it was carefully hand made .

Don't forget to sign and date it ! Your descendants will be using that table long after we are all gone.

Wow those are some massive timbers, great looking table, great looking family. 

Ya and I got them for a good price. $135 for tree 8'-0" pieces. I'm the guy on the right the rest are buddies and a neighbor. They brought the table in the house for me since I broke my back a the month before. But thank you :)

Marcel---

Broke your back!?!? Assembling the table?

I always try to put my blood sweat and tears into every project. Although this table is excessively heavy, it is not how I broke my back. The wheel on my ATV broke off while traveling at 40km/hr. So I've been getting my wood working fix by carving spoons lol. I'm not very good at it but it's fun.

Marcel---

Nice table, Marcel!

4 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

I feel your pain. I suffered a similar injury many years ago, when ATVs only had 3 wheels.

Those vehicles were a PITA, very difficult to steer, especially on any surface but sand. I too got injured on one of those, only my left leg though. I remember all the body weight had to be shifted to the right in order to turn left LOL.

Awesome table. I've never seen ambrosia maple that big either. Very nice. How did you attach the table top?

Till my back is in good shape, the table top is fastened by gravity hahaha. Hey what ever works. We were 14 adults at the table on Christmas Eve and no one accidentally moved it. It's mass alone is sufficient friction.

Marcel---

Nice table, Marcel!

I feel your pain. I suffered a similar injury many years ago, when ATVs only had 3 wheels.

Those vehicles were a PITA, very difficult to steer, especially on any surface but sand. I too got injured on one of those, only my left leg though. I remember all the body weight had to be shifted to the right in order to turn left LOL.

We still use our 3 wheeler for hunting, it's a very tough machine. And know that's not what I broke my back on.

Marcel---

Well that just looks awesome...if the top is 1-1/4" thick, what dimensions did you start the rough lumber with? 6/4 or 8/4? 

Also, what is mortise you are routing below for?

b5896c20e2c27dea762ec20d807a2968.jpg

Oops I don't know where I got 1-1/4" from. It's actually 2-1/16"I purchased it skipped planed so it was relatively flat when I brought it home and after a few weeks acclimatizing in the shop. It was an odd number but if I had to guess it was 9/4 because I know I didn't remove much material to get them consistently flat and thick.

The mortise you see was for the short stretcher between both legs.

Marcel---

I had a cousin that died from a 3 wheeled ATV crash. So glad they took them off the market.

Sorry to hear that, Steve. I have to say my accident was no fault of the machine, but pure operator stupidity. Drove the thing off a 15' embankment, in the dark, at 40 mph.

Felt exactly like Wile. E. Coyote for a couple seconds.