Scrub Plane Setup

Immortan D

I'm planning on setting up one of my Stanley planes, either the #4 or the #5C (corrugated), to work a scrub plane, for aggressive material removal.

To do so, I will be rounding one of the blades, which then I should be able to use interchangeably on either plane.

I found a lot of different opinions about how much rounding or camber I need to apply to the blade.

So I'd appreciate your advice on this matter.

Thanks!

Aggressive scrubs are narrow planes. You have to think about effort to push vs effort required for multiple passes. How much iron width do you want engaged to make an 1/8" deep pass? With that in mind, remember it is easier to go back and camber more if you need. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

Aggressive scrubs are narrow planes. You have to think about effort to push vs effort required for multiple passes. How much iron width do you want engaged to make an 1/8" deep pass? With that in mind, remember it is easier to go back and camber more if you need. 

I never really paid attention to the width of the blade on dedicated scrub planes, such as the one available from LN. I assumed they were the same width as the #4... I just checked and the blade is 25% narrower!

23 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

I turned a #5c into a dedicated scrub plane. I didn't measure the camber,just rounded the corners by eye until they no longer protruded with a decently aggressive cut. 

Brendon, If not much trouble, when you have the time, after doing whatever you do when you're not woodworking, farming, feeding puppies, working, playing Robin Hood, etc... could you please post a pic of your blade? I want to see how your eye worked out on that blade, I may just try to mimic that as a starting point.

Thanks!

12 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

If you posted a blade as an avitar, it would change people's opinion of you and they would think you were sharp. Like it is, you just draw a blank?

Precisely. This rendition of my mind is perfect. 

I turned a #5c into a dedicated scrub plane. I didn't measure the camber,just rounded the corners by eye until they no longer protruded with a decently aggressive cut. 

Brendon, If not much trouble, when you have the time, after doing whatever you do when you're not woodworking, farming, feeding puppies, working, playing Robin Hood, etc... could you please post a pic of your blade? I want to see how your eye worked out on that blade, I may just try to mimic that as a starting point.

Thanks!

As requested. ceadc0554e9d4d3119badd72b520e078.jpg340836e82b5c7d7330be1ab62170743c.jpg648809c145284029fea8d84265196a3a.jpgbc8ddb617e0e4e840b577344f95507e6.jpg

The protrusion of the blade is 1.38" where I keep it set,which never really moves.

This was 11 sideways passes and 8 lengthwise to clean this face up.

• Like 1

At least you get to pick yours. This iPad has screwed up again. Mine, in the upper right corner in the circle is Eric's and the square one in the top lef is RichardA's. I tried to reboot it but still get the same thing. I guess I'm in good company! 

6 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

At least you get to pick yours. This iPad has screwed up again. Mine, in the upper right corner in the circle is Eric's and the square one in the top lef is RichardA's. I tried to reboot it but still get the same thing. I guess I'm in good company! 

Reboot...tee hee hee. Get into your settings, find Safari settings, clear your website data. Takes care of that issue right away. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

Reboot...tee hee hee. Get into your settings, find Safari settings, clear your website data. Takes care of that issue right away. 

Shaffer, you're a genius. Now I'm back to my old self. What a shame? thanks

• Like 1

Someone did, and it was probably you and I forgot who and how! If my wife didn't lay them out for me every morning, I would forget to change drawers, but I'm sure someone would get the drift sooner or later and remind me.

Sorry Daniel for the unintended hj.

The purpose of a scrub plane is to remove waste aggressively. It does this with a 1 1/2" wide blade that has a 3" radius. 

The typical jack plane used for waste removal has a 2" wide blade with a 8-9" radius.

Neither of these blades are square, nor square with rounded corners. They are rounded, which enables a deep, not wide cut. 

Regards from Perth

Derek

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Precisely. This rendition of my mind is perfect. 

As requested. The protrusion of the blade is 1.38" where I keep it set,which never really moves.

This was 11 sideways passes and 8 lengthwise to clean this face up.

Thanks Brendon!

12 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Sorry Daniel for the unintended hj.

LOL no problem at all, Ken!

4 hours ago, derekcohen said:

The purpose of a scrub plane is to remove waste aggressively. It does this with a 1 1/2" wide blade that has a 3" radius. 

The typical jack plane used for waste removal has a 2" wide blade with a 8-9" radius.

Neither of these blades are square, nor square with rounded corners. They are rounded, which enables a deep, not wide cut. 

Regards from Perth

Derek

So are you saying only a purpose built scrub plane is the only thing that can be considered a scrub plane even if you have a 1 and a half inch protrusion of the blade Set to take deep not wide savings and a radius on the blade?

That whole notion seems a bit close-minded to me. We are all Woodworkers and a trait I think many of us have in common is making something work in a manner other than originally designed.

Historically speaking comma your description sounds spot on but at the end of the day if it looks like a duck and Walks Like A Duck I think most of us will call it a duck

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

So are you saying only a purpose built scrub plane is the only thing that can be considered a scrub plane even if you have a 1 and a half inch protrusion of the blade Set to take deep not wide savings and a radius on the blade?

That whole notion seems a bit close-minded to me. We are all Woodworkers and a trait I think many of us have in common is making something work in a manner other than originally designed.

Historically speaking comma your description sounds spot on but at the end of the day if it looks like a duck and Walks Like A Duck I think most of us will call it a duck

You have a point that this is semantics, but it will help read the historical writings. His point and mine are similar. If you want a scrub, the camber is so severe that a wide plane is a waste. You'll never push a 3/8" deep cut through more than a half inch pine board generally speaking. That was the purpose of a scrub. To quickly reduce the width of a board. All he is saying is you are calling a scrub what is typically written of as an aggressive jack and used more like a foreplane.

It is a relatively modern idea to use a large plane aggressively. Most aggressive cuts were taken with smaller planes. Modern guys got used to using the inertial mass, but this is preference. The light wooden coffin and foreplane will cut just as well. Just read Derek as the practical aspect. In order to get the most out of your wide planes, camber them a little less. In order to cut deep, think narrow.