Best epoxy to use to fill small knots

Gunther15

I am new to filling knots in table tops. Generally I just use clear wood and work around the knots. However I did just get some air dried shingle oak that is riddled with small knots (smaller than I diameter of a pencil) it is some beautiful wood and I am going to make a table top from it. I have heard good things of the West System Epoxy but I was wondering if this was the best to use and if so what all do I need to order. I have been looking on Amazon and it looks like I can get the 105 resin but I didn't know which hardener I needed to go along with it. I was also curious if anyone knew of and system that might be cheaper. $100 just seems like a lot to drop on epoxy. And insight that could be given would be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use West..  105 resin and 205/206 hardener.  The 206 is considered fast and the 205 is considered slow.  Frankly, neither are fast ;)  Be sure to get the pump kit as well.

Steve is correct, tape the bottom.  Also, have a torch or heat gun at hand to take care of the bubbles.

I use West 105/206.

If you want a cheaper option for West epoxy you might try a repair kit. They are not as good a value as the pumps but if you don't foresee using a lot $30 is easier to justify.

Since filling knots is non-structural I don't see why a hardware store two part epoxy won't work.

Woodcraft sells some powder tints for resin. I think the brand is stickfast. I just use the black one and it works great. A tiny amount smaller then a pencil erraser is enough for a knot bigger around then a silver dollar.  Regular 2 part epoxy from home depot is all I used. Works extremely well with a heat gun. I won't go back to knot filling without a heat gun anymore.  Not only can you fill even deep knots in one go with a heat gun but it also makes the epoxy looser so it fills more cracks and the black tint even blacker. 

• Like 1

The little bottles of Locktite epoxy that Steve and minorhero mentioned make the most sense here without the initial cost of setup for West.  I use a lot of West Systems, but have used the Locktite more than a few times when I'm somewhere that I don't have all my gear with me.

So I was at this stage in finishing an oak table top and decided to be cheap so I bought the 2-part epoxy resin from Lowes, basically 5-minute epoxy. I wanted to dye it black to match the knots but they didn't have the dye. So I tried a little dot of black acrylic craft paint. Filled a knot and let it settle, cut it off scraped with a cabinet scraper and put a coat of gel stain over to see how it looked and it worked perfectly. In case you want to go the cheap route like me!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458515376.906602

TImageUploadedByTapatalk1458515390.926744

• Like 1

I have used that Devcon epoxy kit for many years.  Useful to know about the paint to color the knot hole. 

I have used walnut filler in small open knots then after sanding it flush I cut the grain pattern back into the surface with an Xacto knife and filled it with oak filler . This prevented a solid color spot that drew the eye to the repair.

Graphite powder works great to tint epoxy from slightly grey to a deep black depending on how much is used. 

Graphite powder can be had cheaply from pretty much any art store.

It's not my project just I would not have used paint to tint it. The chemical junkie in me wonders what you did to the actual strength of the epoxy.