Pallet wood...

SawDustB

• 1 month later...

So this has been way too long since I got any shop time. I was able to cut the joinery yesterday, although I still need to finesse the fit a little on the center dovetails. You can get a better idea of how the frame will go together. I also need to shorten the sliding dovetail pins since the sockets are a bit shorter to avoid being visible. With any luck, I can get it glued up in the next couple of days.

45d41c81627479025b41d6b9a8b1f092.jpg

41 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Looks nice! You are braver than I, to use such a visible dovetail.

Thanks! This is one instance where the hand cut dovetail might have been easier. Getting the router table dialed in closely enough to make this work has been a giant pain. It's going in the same room as the other frame I made with the dovetailed corners, so I felt like I needed one here to tie them together.

I still haven't managed to do the dry fit yet, so it's still possible the whole thing is firewood. We'll see. ;)

A word of warning to any pallet wood users. Some imported pallets are treated with pesticides to prevent the importation of bugs ( which can be a big environmental danger ) !

I have smelled pesticides on those 3x3 skids from under  bundles of imported plywood too. I have gotten some nice exotic wood 3x3 from under imported lumber bundles as well .

• 5 weeks later...

Also to be fair, this stuff isn't exactly your average pallet wood. It came from 8'x4' pallets we use at my work to receive sheet metal on. I tossed the actual slats, and made these from some of the cross members. I have a few other pieces that I might use to build a saw bench. I've come to the conclusion that it wasn't worth the effort to remove the nails or what it did to my poor planer knives, so that'll be the last of it for me.