Reconditioned Dewalt 735

xxdabroxx

12 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Give us the deets. What is the condition mechanically, cosmetically?  Are the blades new? 

Last night was the last night of dove season so it is still sitting on my office floor.  It was visually clean, the bed has some light scratches as though it was lightly used.  I'll be taking it home tonight to run a board or two through it.  I'll grab some better pictures of it's condition before I use it so other people will have a reference as to what their reconditioned tools look like. 

It only came with 2 plastic connections for the dust collection, one looks like it adapts to a shop vac, the other looks like it fans out, but I haven't taken it out yet.  I don't think it came with any instructions unless they are with the connectors.

1 hour ago, RichardA said:

You can always do it the right way!  Dark green dust collector!

102_1369.JPG

Because Eric loves pictures.       I have a spot that I am going to let it become ground cover I think.  I haven't started working on my landscape yet so it will function as winter mud block.  haha.

1 hour ago, Cochese said:

Aha, that is just a deflector. Keeps the chips from knocking holes in your wall if you don't have any extraction.

I don't believe I got one with mine, but it could be floating around here somewhere.

Cool deal, wasn't sure if it was for a bag or what.  Maybe I'll give them both a shot, I think Im going to use it outside the shop for now and aim it at my compost pile, what doesn't make it that far is now a garden path. 

9 hours ago, xxdabroxx said:

OK, I found the instructions, but I still cant figure out what you would use the wide chip ejector connector for.  Is there a seldom used wide format dust collector out there or something? 

The wide one is for use when you don't have a dust collector and you just want the blower in the planer to spread the chips out...it will make a huge mess but it will keep it from clogging or dropping a big pile in one spot.

Mine arrived this afternoon. It has a few cosmetic damages, will ad pictures, but nothing major. Only had time to run a couple boards thru it, and I didn't attach the tables yet, but it's working darn well. Blades seem new to me. 

• 2 weeks later...

I took these pictures the day after I got it, but hadn't got around to uploading them.  The planer had definitely had some wood run through it at some point, but they were pretty good about cleaning it as I only found one spot with wood dust.  After running it it seems that either the first piece of wood I ran through it scored my knives ever so slightly or they put in used knives.  I'm thinking I can offset them a bit and get rid of the track marks, a very light sanding would remove the tracks on the wood. 

kuX7DT2naZodPHRDDyuW43TMrsOMb859m1H0N7hT

AoWOPhKE1Xho5pQ4zgw1f4Gh_tmNJG_j6MsjqOQ3

Hp2jT10oxFKg2_S8r69KNzKhlfwnRn1zRqCZOpW8

awXYb1NKQdG5JLsQbF9v-X10CcvVCgp2JTgr0W6m

The spot on the above photo is dust on the blade, not a large nick. 

CX8Q9XCmQF_8VSavha2qTi2JEB9GdAMs500W69tn

7 minutes ago, RichardA said:

It's carbon , not nitrogen!  Go to infinity tools .com and get their blades, you can get 5 sharpenings from them.

I figure I'll use both sides of these up first, they are reversible right?  But I do plan on going with them based on your recommendation. 

Any reason you couldn't sharpen the original ones?  Seems like if you did them equally it should work. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:  Over the weekend I decided it was time to make an end grain cutting board.  (No I didn't run end grain through it and blow it up haha)  So I cut my strips to length, glued them up and then ran them through the planer.  After cutting to thickness and stacking them together I found that one end of my about 20" cutting board was about 5/8" shorter than the opposite side.  The planer was out of alignment left to right.  I googled around and couldn't find an adjustment for this anywhere.  Took the top cover off and had a look inside, looks like the bearings for the cutterhead are set in a casting so no adjustment.  Flipped it over and noticed that the threaded risers were bolted to the base with an socket screw.  Loosened up the left side, rotated about an 8th of a turn and tightened back down.  I've got it a lot closer now, but I still need to revisit it with a set of calipers to get it dialed just right.  Also need to come up with a way to make sure front to back is equal. 

Overall it was out about 3/64th across an 8" board.  I think I know why this one was sent back in the first place now.   Overall, I think this was easier than trying to send it back for repair though.