Danish oil nightmare

Dena Boyce

10 minutes ago, Denette said:

but what's the chemistry behind how oil cures? :wacko:

Who knows.

They all have different dryers in them.  A finish like ARS will dry and cure much faster because of whatever chemical dryer they add to it.  Clearly they don't add the same stuff to DO.  Also keep in mind that DO is an oil/varnish mix.  ARS and Minwax wipe-on poly are both diluted oil-based varnishes.  Meaning, the latter does not necessarily contain straight oil the same way DO does...rather, they are manufactured with oil.

And anyway...why ask why?  Danish oil sucks.

I don't know Danish oil, but take a lesson from concrete myth. Concrete starts soupy and ends rock hard. If you approach it with a "let's dry this faster" mindset, you have lost. Concrete needs hydration to occur. The reaction requires water and creates heat. Add heat, and problems can occur. Starve it of moisture and problems can occur. Some chemical compounds just need the right temp and enough time to go through their change. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, estesbubba said:

Evaporative and curing finishes are two different things. Shellac is an evaporative finish and once the DNA has flashed off it's done. Oils finishes have both dry times which take many hours and cure times which can take several weeks. 

OK, so then I guess my question is what the difference between those two times signifies.  Is there a different process occurring when an oil finish dries versus when it cures?  Or do we just call an oil finish "dry" when it is no longer tacky and "cured" when it no longer has any liquid properties at any level?

The solvent is just there, basically, as a carrier, to make the finish flow. It evaporates, leaving behind a very viscous oil or resin. The curing phase involves that thick stuff polymerizing by reacting with oxygen, which leaves it hard. 

It's the polymerizing phase that makes oily rags dangerous because the finish is oxidizing & giving off heat.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, drzaius said:

The solvent is just there, basically, as a carrier, to make the finish flow. It evaporates, leaving behind a very viscous oil or resin. The curing phase involves that thick stuff polymerizing by reacting with oxygen, which leaves it hard. 

It's the polymerizing phase that makes oily rags dangerous because the finish is oxidizing & giving off heat.

Ok.  So let's say I used Watch Danish Oil, which according to the manufacturer's MSDS has these solvents: 

Stoddard Solvent

Rosin Adduct Ester

Solvent Naphtha, Light Aromatic 

What, if anything, could be done to speed the evaporation and polymerization phases?

If you can't tell, I'm working on a project with this stuff, and need it done within a week if possible.  :rolleyes:  Serves me right for using it before reading up on the stuff.

8 minutes ago, Denette said:

If you can't tell, I'm working on a project with this stuff, and need it done within a week if possible.  :rolleyes:  Serves me right for using it before reading up on the stuff.

If you want an oil-based finish and you need it to be dry before 2018, I'd recommend cutting your losses and switching to ARS or Minwax wipe-on poly.  You'll get a nicer looking finish, a more protective finish, and a piece of furniture you'll actually be able to touch within a day or two.

Danish oil sucks.  Save it for the next work bench you build.

You are sunk. The naptha will flash off pretty quick, I don't know about the other solvents. At 70* F, a typical coat of DO will be dry to the touch in 6-8 hours, but not safe to handle for a couple of days. Give it a month for a good, solid cure. By then you should be able to lay a book on it overnight, and not have it stuck the next day.

Switch to a wipe-on poly, if you possibly can!

8 minutes ago, Eric. said:

If you want an oil-based finish and you need it to be dry before 2018, I'd recommend cutting your losses and switching to ARS or Minwax wipe-on poly.  You'll get a nicer looking finish, a more protective finish, and a piece of furniture you'll be able to touch within a day or two.

Danish oil sucks.  Save it for the next work bench you build.

Maybe.  But what sucks is it is the perfect color.  So I'm motivated to keep it for that reason.  The intention was to use Danish oil for the consistent even color (I'm working with pine) and then go over it with a thick few layers of polyurethane, because the project is a countertop for my brother.  And yes, I know, pine is a terrible choice for a countertop, hence the plan to have layers and layers of polyurethane.  I wouldn't have made it this way, but he supplied the wood, so I'm working with what I've got.  And of course it has to look like walnut.:rolleyes:

I may take the project into our backyard shed, which has windows, and leave it there with good ventilation for the next week and see how the Danish oil does with 24/7 fresh air.  It's been cooped up in the garage up until now.

6 minutes ago, Eric. said:

That's a big bowl of wrong.  LOL

Don't I know it.  But I'm sure you know how terrible walnut stain looks on pine.  Since dark walnut wood stains ruin pine and my brother didn't want a faux-zebrawood stained counter, Danish oil seemed like a good way to color it.  So at least that was the only mistake I really made.  The counter itself is very well made, aside from being pine.  It is a single slab, 14.25" wide, 9' long, with 4" breadboards at each end attached with homemade domino joinery held in place by half-blind counterbored dowels.  The slab has a few walnut dovetail keys in it.  It was so much prettier before the stain, but, alas, it's not for my house.

12 minutes ago, Denette said:

walnut stain

This is the problem. And it is a large problem. Even if you got the pine slab for free, you are money and time behind trying to make pine look like walnut. First, it never will. Second, it's just bad practice. Just use Walnut next time, it's not that expensive. Walnut with a few coats of ARS would have solved all of your problems. You would have been done in the same day you started with the proper material.

Personally, I'd burn the pine and start fresh with walnut. 

3 minutes ago, Llama said:

This is the problem. And it is a large problem. Even if you got the pine slab for free, you are money and time behind trying to make pine look like walnut. First, it never will. Second, it's just bad practice. Just use Walnut next time, it's not that expensive. Walnut with a few coats of ARS would have solved all of your problems. You would have been done in the same day you started with the proper material.

Personally, I'd burn the pine and start fresh with walnut. 

Me too.  Walnut would have been a much much better material for a counter.  But the pine will have to do. :(