West Coast or NW Woodworking shows?

MisterDrow

On 11/17/2016 at 10:47 AM, MisterDrow said:

I see lots of woodworking shows in the midwest, south, and eastern US but it seems most of the major ones out West have been canceled the last couple years. 

Anyone know of any good shows coming up in the next 14 months?

I think the silence here is pretty accurate. We will get a Lee Valley tool event coming through every once in a while. There plenty of woodworking shows, but those are for people to showcase their creations, not for the tool companies.

• Like 1

We have indeed reaped what we've sewn.  For years running I have been cautioning people bashing the shows for not being big enough or not having a particular exhibitor or something really petty like "the parking was $8".  Common sense tells you that a vendor cannot afford to participate in a tour like 'the Woodworking Shows' if people are not going to show up.

Those of you who skipped the show because some nimrod said it was small and not worth going . . . I curse you all and your ilk!  The shows, now gone, were the high point of my blustery California winters.

Rant-off

I plan on going to some of the local area shows, despite them being small--both to check them out and also in the hopes that they can become bigger over time.

I was hoping that I might be able to find some bigger shows that weren't too far away, though. Apparently not. :(

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2016 at 0:47 PM, MisterDrow said:

I see lots of woodworking shows in the midwest, south, and eastern US but it seems most of the major ones out West have been canceled the last couple years. 

Anyone know of any good shows coming up in the next 14 months?

Amana, Iowa in May.

This is common to most hobbies. It's most economical for vendors to host a show within a day's driving distance of their market base. This means most shows are in the East Coast or easterly Midwest areas. Out here on the West Coast, you don't have that kind of population density -- you drive for a day and you're still in the same state you started in.

The only "event" I've heard of is the Woodcraft three-day Octoberfest party here in Seattle, complete with parking lot tent, barbecue, product demos, etc. Plenty of folks show up from the Portland-Vancouver BC-Spokane triangle but it's certainly not a trade show.

• 2 months later...
Biggest thing Ive ever even heard of in my area was the Rockler opening and the Festool truck that came through. Not much support or love for woodworkers here in CA.

That's what I've been noticing. Did an apprenticeship in TN and there's so many craftsman and people who want to buy their stuff + a lot of shows. Pretty cool scene

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I've been noticing. Did an apprenticeship in TN and there's so many craftsman and people who want to buy their stuff + a lot of shows. Pretty cool scene

You must have been in East TN, correct? I'm struggling to find anything in the other end of the state.

8 hours ago, treesner said:

Lie Nielsen came through the bay area for a day/show last year. I was planning on catching them but missed it due to work. Was hoping theyd come through again this year.