Pest invasion!

Merlau

my first nesting area was in the pulley shield of my air compressor which is next to the OH door, then found them in a drawer in the main shop.. cleaned out both areas then put out poison,, 2 weeks later had more fuzz in drawer:( set traps next to the drawer and window sills that showed traffic.. will reset in new areas tomorrow in case they dont want to climb to get food anymore.. have closed of the area i think they came in at.  OHead door opening

They were getting up in the attic.  They were shimmying up the walls under the drywall at the base of the garage.  I installed rubber baseboard along the entire perimeter.  You have to find out how they're getting in because they will learn to avoid traps.

Mice will investigate a dead brethren.  When they figure it out they will warn others by using feces.  Once they figure it out you'll have to try several different traps and use different baits.  You don't want to leave a dead mouse in a trap for them to investigate!

My final attempt at killing them, I took a single Decon tray full of pellets and scattered the contents across the floor thinking they would suspect a convenient tray of food.  A few days later the bait was gone.  I believe they harvested the bait and took it somewhere because there was too much bait for just a few mice.  

You don't want them to procreate.  One of the traps had a small mouse in it.  Half of the body was skinned and some of the extremities were eaten.  The only one I found like that.

I think I still have 1 or 2 up there so I'm curious what a pro would do.  Could they smoke bomb an attic?     

As others have said be careful with the poison if you have pets around.  When I first got Duke he got into an old box of mouse poison he found behind some wood in the back yard and got terribly sick, I got lucky that it was old and he pulled through just fine with some meds from the vet. 

we lost a dog this past summer to still unknown causes - major organ failures, lots of issues.  We never knew what it was and although the breed is known for some genetic issues, I still to this day suspect poison possibly put out by one of the neighbors to kill rabbits and other wildlife.  Be cautious.

Like C Shaffer mentioned, I read part of the reasons for new poison regulations was because of pets and children.  I felt it was a safe option because in my case it's unlivable attic space.

Poison is never safe if you or the neighbors have pets or children. It's the terminally ill pest that creates a big risk after it eats the poison and before it dies. A sick rodent doesn't always crawl in a hole. When they stagger out in the open they are an irresistible poison filled treat for a cat or dog. I don't think a child will try eat the impaired rodent but they will try to play with it. This exposes the child to disease or the poison.

If the rat can get in the shop it can get back out after eating the poison. You are creating an unsafe situation in the neighborhood. Use whatever traps you feel are appropriate. Use poisons for bugs, not mammals.

Sent from my woodshop using duct tape, twine, and a bit of sawdust.

• Like 1

well its been 2 or 3 wks for the traps and i finally got one 2 days ago. have checked all the possible openings and found some daylight in the OHead door area its now dark as well so maybe i got the problem solved.. in the future i will use traps exclusively.. dont need sick dogs or cats  in the neighborhood on my account.. but i am in the country and pets ae to be leased not running loose

On 12/27/2016 at 5:07 PM, elrodk said:

Poison is never safe if you or the neighbors have pets or children. It's the terminally ill pest that creates a big risk after it eats the poison and before it dies. A sick rodent doesn't always crawl in a hole. When they stagger out in the open they are an irresistible poison filled treat for a cat or dog. I don't think a child will try eat the impaired rodent but they will try to play with it. This exposes the child to disease or the poison.

If the rat can get in the shop it can get back out after eating the poison. You are creating an unsafe situation in the neighborhood. Use whatever traps you feel are appropriate. Use poisons for bugs, not mammals.

Sent from my woodshop using duct tape, twine, and a bit of sawdust.

Yes, you want to make sure you find out how they are getting in and close it off or you will create an endless situation.  As I said in my case I had done that and I have no children or pets.  When you can find no exterminator that uses other means other than what you've tried there is just no alternative but to use poison. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 1:49 AM, GeneT said:

I cant believe that no one else uses a Ratzapper.  No bloody traps or springs to deal with and instant kill.  A little expensive but worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/Rat-Zapper-Ultra-Rodent-RZU001/dp/B00CM859OA

Use dry dog food or unpopped popcorn as bait.

I tried traps like that in the attic and they just stuff the opening with insulation and poop on top of the trap.  No good for the valedictorians of their class!