Plywood Pricing

kon_jelly

Looking to make some shop furniture and was pricing out some plywood. I've never bought true Baltic Birch before, but my local lumber supply has some. I've got pricing but I feel like it's high. A sheet of 5x5 3/4" is $85. That's $3.40 per sq/ft. They also have domestic birch in 4x8, and a 3/4" sheet is $71.50 ($2.25 sq/ft). 

Are these prices reasonable? I know the stuff at Home Depot isn't nearly the same quality, but the price difference is pretty substantial.

Yea thats about right.  Its worth it though It is real nice, no voids and even a sanded edge when finished looks good.  If he has it you can use 1/2 inch too.  All my shop stuff is 1/2 inch.  Router table cabinet, out feed/assembly table and some of my miter station cabinetry are all 1/2 inch.  Even my drawer fronts are 1/2 inch baltic birch, little round over sanded and finished they look fine in the shop.

• Like 1

It's around 49 -55 for me but I buy wholesale and usually don't need the top grade. There are several different grades. At 85 at least one face should have none of the football shaped patches. The other side should only have a few if any. Inspect the edges for voids in the core, none are allowed in the top grades.

You might ask around for pricing on BB grade,might be more football patches but still strong,stiff , flat 5x5 sheets for shop furniture.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BonPacific said:

I recently found a local lumber dealer with 1/2" Russian Birch for $28 a sheet (5x5). I haven't bought any 3/4 from them yet, but I'd say call around a little more. It's shop grade, with a few patches, but absolutely solid and perfect for shop use.

Do you mind letting me know where? I need some shop plywood and that does seem too bad.

19 hours ago, wdwerker said:

You might ask around for pricing on BB grade,might be more football patches but still strong,stiff , flat 5x5 sheets for shop furniture.

I think what I have been buying is the BB baltic, usually has one side with 7 or 8 footballs and the other side has 0-2 of them, depends on the sheet. But it's great for shop stuff, or things unseen where you can hide the footballs, and the price is great. 

Here's what the tag from my place says:  "BAL BIRCH 3/4x5x5 18mm CARB-II" .What does "CARB-II" mean?    ...Anyway, that stuff is around $38 a sheet right now. The 1/2" stuff is only about $25 so I have been using that for a lot of stuff lately. Again, gotta work around the voids or be able to hide them though, so its not like it's a free lunch.

We pay $1.03 and $1.54/sf here in central PA.  We have a small cabinet shop but are a very small potatoes buyer from our supplier. 

Steve, are you buying from Peachstate up in Kennesaw?  I was down in Atlanta for years and got sticker shock when I first moved and started buying hardwoods and fancy ply up here in PA!