Cherry & Ash Dresser

Dknapp34

22 minutes ago, Merlau said:

or the cut edge digging into the fence?

I didn't have any issues with that, but the very tip of the miter is obviously pretty fragile so I wouldn't recommend exerting a huge amount of force towards the fence as you push it through the cut. I used MDF for the sacrificial fence, which seems like a good idea. If you used maple or something too hard, you might burnish the tip of the miter if you pushed too hard towards the fence. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Now that's a pretty clever way to run. Nice thinking on your feet.

I have to agree with Brendon. Anytime I see a creative solution to a problem, I always ask myself, "How would I have resolved that issue?"  

Dresser is looking really well done. Going to be a great addition to your home. 

• Like 1

Starting to fiddle around with the base. I'm going to do something along the lines of the base Mike Pekovich did on his Chelsea writing desk (you can google it for pics). The basic idea is two stretchers (front and back) that are mortised into round tapered legs, which are splayed out at an angle. The whole thing is set off a bit from the bottom of the case, so that it looks like the case is floating. I probably should have cut the mortise before I turned the legs,so I could have done it on the TS, but oh well, hand saw it is (ignore the mess in the background...):

IMG_0155.JPG.b31389198ee968b2c1c7dbb488708043.JPG

IMG_0156.JPG.7edcb5e0cd7eededc02ade76645d5a4e.JPGIMG_0159.JPG.8d3cbe245392c9aebed20be0a70fde57.JPG

IMG_0160.JPG.76811caa081f094dc38644275359b0b6.JPG

The leg is splayed out at a 10 degree angle. Rather than cut the bottom of the mortise at an angle, I cut a flat on bottom of the stretcher at a 10 degree angle, and then used a spindle sander to creep up on the curves so that they ended right where the legs attach to the stretcher. 

Really great work so far. Love the way that base is turning out!

On 1/29/2017 at 9:49 PM, shaneymack said:

Are you going to domino the case miters?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Question on this. Would you use the tight setting at the middle and the wider setting on the outsides to allow for some movement or are you assuming it will all move together?

On 3/29/2017 at 11:25 PM, prov163 said:

I've tried to imagine it on the base. How big is the dresser itself. I didn't fine any dimensions. I'm really enjoying your posts. Very cool. 

Thanks! The case is 43"L x 26 1/2"H x 20"D. With the base attached it will be 35" tall. 

Here's a few pics of the base glued up and with a coat of ARS (still wet):

IMG_0181.JPG.8335a0677b4cb318054625d4fa3705d7.JPG

I beveled the front-to-back supports so that they won't show once the case is attached, in order to achieve a floating look:

IMG_0182.JPG.abcd0eb9cc83f068774779bebcdd3c5b.JPG

• Like 2

Picked up some renaissance wax just to see what all the fuss was about. I was originally just going to use it to wax the runners on the drawers so they slide easier, but I decided to put a coat of it the cherry just to see how it looked. I have to say, I like it. It definitely gave it a subtle sheen. Has a nice feel to it also. I'm going to have to start using it on more things. 

• Like 1