Derek_PNW

Help Request in Seattle/Bellevue area of Washington

Recommended Posts

Hello all, awhile back I asked about how I should go about ripping a 12/4 piece of poplar on a table saw and the answer from well-respected and experienced woodworkers on the forum was to use a band saw. Unfortunately, I do not have a band saw yet. Last night I tried to rip a 2-1/4" x 2-1/4" piece with a jigsaw but I learned a lot about blade drift. . . I am looking for some help to get about 4 pieces of 20" in length of 2-1/4" x 2-1/4" out of the 12/4 piece of poplar. I can take it to final dimension at home, but I just need to break it down. I am happy to pay for your time and wear and tear on your machine! I bought the poplar from Crosscut Hardwoods. I would expect there to be no foreign objects in the wood. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm to far away to help, but why not take to where you bought it, and ask them to cut it down for you.  Might cost a buck or two, but it'll get done.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am in Mill Creek area. Cant remember your exact location, but you can come by and we can rip those on my bandsaw sometime. When are you needing to do it? 

 

Edit: Just looked back at your older post. I am not far from Bothell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have a table saw you can cut this piece you set the saw depth just over 1/2 half the way through work piece once you've set the fence run the piece through the saw flip the piece end for end run it through again rinse and repeat. Just make sure your blade is exactly 90 deg. to the table.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, higtron said:

If you have a table saw you can cut this piece you set the saw depth just over 1/2 half the way through work piece once you've set the fence run the piece through the saw flip the piece end for end run it through again rinse and repeat. Just make sure your blade is exactly 90 deg. to the table.

Yes, plenty easy to do on a table saw. Depending on your saw, you may be able to do it in 1 pass

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, MattF said:

I am in Mill Creek area. Cant remember your exact location, but you can come by and we can rip those on my bandsaw sometime. When are you needing to do it? 

 

Edit: Just looked back at your older post. I am not far from Bothell. 

Matt, thank you so much. I am happy to complete the cuts when you're available. Would this weekend work for you? Also, please feel free to message me about compensation. I want to pay for your time and wear and tear on your machines.

 

3 hours ago, higtron said:

If you have a table saw you can cut this piece you set the saw depth just over 1/2 half the way through work piece once you've set the fence run the piece through the saw flip the piece end for end run it through again rinse and repeat. Just make sure your blade is exactly 90 deg. to the table.

 

2 hours ago, drzaius said:

Yes, plenty easy to do on a table saw. Depending on your saw, you may be able to do it in 1 pass

Thank you both for the confidence to do it on a table saw, however I am under 6 months of woodworking experience and I am not confident in myself setting this cut up properly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish I lived closer because this is a simple rip cut, you should buy or make some push sticks and practice different table saw cuts rips, cross cuts (with miter gauge) until you get the confidence to rely on your saw you will soon realize this is your go to tool. Follow all safety procedures, you want to be confident but not cocky or reckless plan your cuts think through your process then turn the saw on and make the cut. If this cut makes you nervous you should ask if any near by woodworkers could come by and help through this rip cut on your equipment, coming off the band-saw the pieces will need some cleaning up before they are ready for glue but will be glue ready right off the table-saw. Good luck and get familiar with that saw Man.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, higtron said:

I wish I lived closer because this is a simple rip cut, you should buy or make some push sticks and practice different table saw cuts rips, cross cuts (with miter gauge) until you get the confidence to rely on your saw you will soon realize this is your go to tool. Follow all safety procedures, you want to be confident but not cocky or reckless plan your cuts think through your process then turn the saw on and make the cut. If this cut makes you nervous you should ask if any near by woodworkers could come by and help through this rip cut on your equipment, coming off the band-saw the pieces will need some cleaning up before they are ready for glue but will be glue ready right off the table-saw. Good luck and get familiar with that saw Man.

Thank you for the insight Higtron! Valuable advice is always welcomed. I read, watch, and read some more on proper techniques, but nothing will ever replace a mentor or teacher which can watch what you're doing and correct in the moment! If you ever find yourself in the North-end, please feel free to let me know! Always happy to listen and learn something!

16 minutes ago, MattF said:

No problem. Let me check with my wife about this weekend to make sure we dont have anything going on. Saturday would probably be best.

I dont require any compensation, but if you feel that if you need too, beer works.

 

List of my favorites:

1: Free

2: Cold

3: IPAs

4: Am also happy with cheap beer.

 

I will PM you when I talk to the wife.

 

Thanks Matt! I have already started to receive those looks from my girlfriend when I say I am going down to the garage. . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Derek_PNW said:

Thanks Matt! I have already started to receive those looks from my girlfriend when I say I am going down to the garage. . .

Shhh! Don't let them catch on that sawdust is a narcotic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
What kind table saw do you have?

SS PCS 1.75HP

Shhh! Don't let them catch on that sawdust is a narcotic!

Unfortunately every time I walk up the stairs from the garage I have sawdust under my nose....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Derek_PNW said:

SS PCS 1.75HP

This is a capable saw for what you are doing you probably just need to get some technique under your belt.  It does look like the cut has a lot of stress being released.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Derek_PNW said:

SS PCS 1.75HP

Unfortunately every time I walk up the stairs from the garage I have sawdust under my nose....

Hell, I could come to you and help you out with your set up and technique. That saw should be more than capable.  Do you have a decent rip blade? 

 

Its up to you.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hell, I could come to you and help you out with your set up and technique. That saw should be more than capable.  Do you have a decent rip blade? 

 

Its up to you.

Honestly if you're willing I would prefer that. I would like to learn how to deal with situations with my tools. Still expect mucho beer though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Derek_PNW said:

Honestly if you're willing I would prefer that. I would like to learn how to deal with situations with my tools. Still expect mucho beer though.

When would be a good time for you? I work in Totem Lake and drive by Bothell every day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, MattF said:

Hell, I could come to you and help you out with your set up and technique. That saw should be more than capable.  Do you have a decent rip blade? 

 

Its up to you.

Good on you MattF there you go Derek I'm glad Matt is going to help!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
When would be a good time for you? I work in Totem Lake and drive by Bothell every day.

Matt, I cannot thank you enough. I am available Saturday afternoon (after 2:00pm) and all day Sunday. Thanks!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Derek_PNW said:

Matt, I cannot thank you enough. I am available Saturday afternoon (after 2:00pm) and all day Sunday. Thanks!

Lets plan for Saturday afternoon. I still have not talked to the wife yet, late day at work, but as far as I know we don't have anything for Saturday until 5. I will be working with a small window, but should be enough time to get you set up. 

 

 

This is what a community is all about. I know I am not the best woodworker, but am comfortable enough in my ability to lend a helping hand in this situation. I have learned a lot here and is just my way of paying back. This is one of, if not the best, online communities I have ever been apart of. Tons of helpful people. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Derek_PNW I am good to go for Saturday. SWMBO has no plans for us. until 5-5:30. Just PM me when you get a chance and we can work out the details.

 

BTW, I am kinda looking forward to laying hands on a non-showroom floor Sawstop. You have the exact model I have been eyeballing and drooling over.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@Derek_PNW I am good to go for Saturday. SWMBO has no plans for us. until 5-5:30. Just PM me when you get a chance and we can work out the details.

 

BTW, I am kinda looking forward to laying hands on a non-showroom floor Sawstop. You have the exact model I have been eyeballing and drooling over.

Matt, I cannot say thank you enough! I learn best from experience! I will send you a PM with details. You are not allowed to laugh at my power situation. I plug my table saw into the bottom of the stairs inside and the dust collector into the garage... I need to remedy that issue. [emoji23]

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Derek_PNW said:

Matt, I cannot say thank you enough! I learn best from experience! I will send you a PM with details. You are not allowed to laugh at my power situation. I plug my table saw into the bottom of the stairs inside and the dust collector into the garage... I need to remedy that issue. emoji23.png

My power situation is terrible and in no position to laugh. Mines sad and would get hammered by some:lol: It's something I need to remedy myself via subpanel. Not an electrician and don't know code, but have the ability to do it without a doubt. 

 

I also learn best from doing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.