Cheap chisels and a honing guide

aknotsdeath

So I decided on the "scary sharp" method of sharpening. I got my honing guide and my chisels. For the larger chisels and my planer blade it works. But the smaller chisels are to fat for the guide. Is that a bad guide or bad chisels? I can take pictures in a bit if they are needed.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Ok first let me say my aunt made them and they are very handy. I did not choose the color pattern. Second here are the pictures. The chisels are from HF.d3e10c810e4fb545ef0494c65733d52d.jpga40106252041280f90b3d1ec5ff4e5d4.jpg410239c115285fe63664233486e0f11e.jpg5074c429d96500a05ca375633413015f.jpg

Sounds like this standard cheap combo guide, sold under a half dozen names. Does this look like what you have?

41BySmvT6LL._SX425_.jpg

If so, Lie-Nielsen has a video about how to fix the problems with this casting. Basically boils down to filing a flat in the angled blade holders.

That should work thank you :)

Hmm...owning both, I will not be discarding my eclipse style. I do not see the Mk 2 as way better as much as different. 

The MK2 just looks like it would hold it in there better. And be easier to load up the chisel.

28 minutes ago, aknotsdeath said:

The MK2 just looks like it would hold it in there better. And be easier to load up the chisel.

Prep the eclipse right and your chisels are always square right off the bat. The side registry ensures this. Loading it is not more difficult. 

• Like 2

The cheapo was fine for plane blades for me, but I could never get it to sharpen my chisels square. I have also upgraded to a Vertias Mk2, which works much better (read: works at all) for my old chisels. Some of it is probably because my original chisel set has pretty high sides, at least compared to my newer Lie Nielsen's.

• Like 1

Prep the eclipse right and your chisels are always square right off the bat. The side registry ensures this. Loading it is not more difficult. 

When I can get files I will be trying it. I was just asking for future reference. I gather knowledge not tools.

2 minutes ago, aknotsdeath said:

When I can get files I will be trying it. I was just asking for future reference. I gather knowledge not tools.

I can respect that and am not trying to tell anyone the Mk 2 is bad. I just don't feel the Eclipse is bad either. There are pros and cons to be weighed. The Eclipse style is far cheaper and serviceable. I grab it for most all my narrow blades and save the Mk 2 for plane blades. Just my flow. 

• Like 1

I can respect that and am not trying to tell anyone the Mk 2 is bad. I just don't feel the Eclipse is bad either. There are pros and cons to be weighed. The Eclipse style is far cheaper and serviceable. I grab it for most all my narrow blades and save the Mk 2 for plane blades. Just my flow. 

The other selling point of the MK2 for me is the bigger size. My hands cramp and hurt. Besides I'm not buying that honing guide until I can upgrade from sandpaper.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, aknotsdeath said:

The other selling point of the MK2 for me is the bigger size. My hands cramp and hurt. Besides I'm not buying that honing guide until I can upgrade from sandpaper.

Have you thought about making or getting a t-handled screwdriver? That's the fiddliest part of either jig, and the t-handle should save some hand-fatigue.

Have you thought about making or getting a t-handled screwdriver? That's the fiddliest part of either jig, and the t-handle should save some hand-fatigue.

I mean cramps while holding the jig. Since the jigs size is small. The MK2 looks considerably bigger.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ronn W said:

I had that guide for a while - hated it. 

Can't agree more - I hate this guide.  But I hate the MK2 also.  I'm pretty sure that there's still one in my drawer.  The Lie-Nielsen honing guide is the best that I've tried.  I didn't want to suggest it because you mentioned "cheap chisels and honing guide".  YES, you're going to have to sell a kidney for the Lie-Nielsen guide. 

1 hour ago, C Shaffer said:

Hmm...owning both, I will not be discarding my eclipse style. I do not see the Mk 2 as way better as much as different. 

The problem that I have experienced with the old MK2 is that there is nothing to hold the chisel straight while it's in the guide.  It's VERY easy to get the chisel to not be at a perfect 90 degrees to the guide.  That said, from what I remember, Veritas has addressed this.  The newer MK2's have some kind of guide that's supposed to keep the chisel perpendicular to the guide.  I don't have that piece so I cannot comment on it (I think that they sell it as an add-on for the older guides).

15 minutes ago, SeventyFix said:

The problem that I have experienced with the old MK2 is that there is nothing to hold the chisel straight while it's in the guide.  It's VERY easy to get the chisel to not be at a perfect 90 degrees to the guide.  That said, from what I remember, Veritas has addressed this.  The newer MK2's have some kind of guide that's supposed to keep the chisel perpendicular to the guide.  

There has only been 1 MK2 guide. Its predecessor is the Veritas Sharpening System. I've got both. The original is not great, with it's greatest weakness being that, as Seventy mentioned, there is no mechanism for holding the blade square with the jig.

The MK2 is a completely different jig, with nothing in common with the old one. It is excellent.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have both the Eclipse and the Veritas Mk. 2. I find the Veritas to be fiddly and I have had issues with the roller freezing up. I suppose it is ok. 

My first Eclipse copy was hard to close and now has been recycled by the trash company. I bought another and made sure that the new one clamps correctly. I modified it and it seems to work well.

When I have a.couple hundred that I don't have to use for something else, I am getting the Lie Neilsen. I used it at.one of their tool events and I think it is worth the money.

I glued a.scrap of leather to a scrap of plywood for a strop. Smear in some green compound.and presto! An el cheapo strop that works well. I use it for touch up between sharpening.

If I was starting from scratch, I would get 600 and 1000 grit diamond plates, a 4000 - 6000 grit waterstone and a strop with the Lie Neilsen guide. 

If the edge is really butched up, I have a Worksharp that regrinds the edge very quickly.

Hope you find what works for you.

• Like 1