Tracksaw setting gauge

TerryMcK

Interesting contraption...but I gotta wonder...why not just use a good, long square?  Something like the Woodpeck framing square makes the whole problem moot...just strike a full line and set your track to that...no back-and-forth...and done in two seconds...

@Eric.We are not talking about making something square here but cutting sheets to parallel width without any measuring (pencil marks tapes etc). This is repeatable with one setting of the gauge so you can cut multiple sheets one after the other all to the same width.

Use the square afterwards to make a 90 degree and then again use the gauge to cut to length.

14 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

@Eric.We are not talking about making something square here but cutting sheets to parallel width without any measuring (pencil marks tapes etc). This is repeatable with one setting of the gauge so you can cut multiple sheets one after the other all to the same width.

I thought that was why god invented table saws? :D

3 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

No need for the TS55 in that case.

Well everyone's workflow is different.  I use my TS for the rips and the TS55 and MFT to crosscut my panels (at least the panels that are too big for the TS sled or SCMS).  If I didn't have the MFT I'd just use a big, accurate square to set up the track...which is what I used to do.

Have you found the applied scale having the numbers rubbed off? I'd probably grab a t-track type extruded aluminum channel with a recess for my scale. 

I like the idea... This would have saved me from borrowing the Seneca version.

1 hour ago, TerryMcK said:

My glass back won't allow me to lift heavy 3/4" 8'x4' boards of ply or 1" thick 8 x 4 MDF sheets onto the TS

Even when my back is being agreeable, my puny arms struggle lifting them... Festool needs to make a device that makes us telekinetic.

Also, a most excellent writeup Terry...thanks for the above and beyond effort.

It's a giant marking guage without the scratch pin.

It occurs to me that you could also do the initial setup using the cutting side of the track rather than the back side.  That would allow you to make a parellel cut closer than 5 inches to initial panel cut.

You could set up one side of the measure stick for the back of the track and the other side for the front of the track so you could make either kind of parellel cut.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TerryMcK said:

Good for you.

My glass back won't allow me to lift heavy 3/4" 8'x4' boards of ply or 1" thick 8 x 4 MDF sheets onto the TS to rip so I'll carry on with ripping with the track saw ;) .

It's a totally logical workflow for most shops.  I do have an advantage that most guys don't have, which is that I can back my truck right up to my outfeed table with the garage door open, slide the sheets out of the truck and rip them one at a time without ever really having to lift anything.

But yeah...in any other case...whatever you can do to avoid manhandling a full sheet of 3/4" ply (or MDF...you're right...that stuff is like lead)...is definitely a priority.  You can't get much woodworking done when you're in traction. LOL

Interesting contraption...but I gotta wonder...why not just use a good, long square?  Something like the Woodpeck framing square makes the whole problem moot...just strike a full line and set your track to that...no back-and-forth...and done in two seconds...

Yep. But Terry's rig is more affordable....the number of times I might use a square that long can't justify the red aluminum price.

17 hours ago, Llama said:

Have you found the applied scale having the numbers rubbed off? I'd probably grab a t-track type extruded aluminum channel with a recess for my scale. 

I like the idea... This would have saved me from borrowing the Seneca version.

No there is still sufficient clearance so the plexi doesn't scrape the tape. However machining a very shallow recess would be a good idea. The thing to be aware of is not to move the scale lines too far away from the scratch line on the plexi to avoid parallax errors.

• Like 1

Cool idea.  A larger version of this.  OMG, 23 dollars!?!  That almost makes Woodpecker's version make sense.  I'm glad I bought 2 back when they were reasonable.  Not sure that I would pay $23 for one but, I use them on all my steel rules for just that sort of thing except my 36" one; that is too wide.