Cabinet Scraper

Cliff

1 hour ago, Mike. said:

what is the wrong idea? 

I was referring to the cost, not trying to be contrary :).  There have been a few articles on the cost benefits.  Here's one: 

http://www.finewoodworking.com/2011/10/27/bottom-line-on-segmented-cutterhead-cost

Using the sharpening / replacement schedule of my old knived machines I paid for the additional cost of the insert heads in a couple of years. Since then it's all gravy. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mike. said:

sharp straight knives give a better surface than a fresh shelix

Changing knives on a 735 takes about 20 minutes.  rotating 163 inserts? 

Yes, you can defer rotating your inserts for a much longer time, but overall I don't think it is worth the extra cost (especially on a lunchbox).  

I actually do think they are somewhat valuable on a jointer, because you don't need to worry about grain direction as much, so you can joint your edges at complementary angles and not worry about your fence being perfectly 90. 

Although watch out if one of the inserts shatters will the head is spinning   Been there, done that   

But, in general i think Byrd geads are just another thing for dudes with $1mln houses and $200k shops to sell on youtube. 

Mike I agree I can change the knives on my Hammer A3-31 in about five minutes and think you would be hard pressed to get a better cut regardless of wood type. 

I can't really provide pics cause I fixed the drawer fronts before anyone asked. But I've had the 735 long enough to know what a nicked blade track looks like. I always run on the slowest speed and I am careful not to take too big of a cut. 

I get that the 735 is still a lunchbox planer, but we're talking $400, which is less than the $1500 drum sander I'd buy, less than the $2000 planer I'd buy and I don't have to find a way to fit it in my cramped shop. It may not make sense for others, but it kinda does for me. Especially when a new table saw really needs to take precedence over a new planer. I care about solving issues, not about if spending $400 on a $600 machine matters. I mean, it just doesn't. If it works for what I need, then I'm all good. Like, buying a 20" floor standing planer isn't going to solve world peace or anything. 

I still want a drum sander of course, I hope I can get one and fit it in there some day. I think it is more likely I'll buy another house with a much larger shop before I get one. 

• Like 2

On 7/3/2017 at 11:08 PM, Cliff said:

I can't really provide pics cause I fixed the drawer fronts before anyone asked. But I've had the 735 long enough to know what a nicked blade track looks like. I always run on the slowest speed and I am careful not to take too big of a cut. 

I get that the 735 is still a lunchbox planer, but we're talking $400, which is less than the $1500 drum sander I'd buy, less than the $2000 planer I'd buy and I don't have to find a way to fit it in my cramped shop. It may not make sense for others, but it kinda does for me. Especially when a new table saw really needs to take precedence over a new planer. I care about solving issues, not about if spending $400 on a $600 machine matters. I mean, it just doesn't. If it works for what I need, then I'm all good. Like, buying a 20" floor standing planer isn't going to solve world peace or anything. 

I still want a drum sander of course, I hope I can get one and fit it in there some day. I think it is more likely I'll buy another house with a much larger shop before I get one. 

I realize that it's a bit of a drive, but here's one at a reasonable price. The size that fits.

https://columbus.craigslist.org/tls/6196056254.html

On 7/5/2017 at 9:07 AM, collinb said:

I realize that it's a bit of a drive, but here's one at a reasonable price. The size that fits.

https://columbus.craigslist.org/tls/6196056254.html

That's awesome. I'd go get that if I didn't have to find a way to pay off my car and buy another in the next week or so - thus wrecking my life.