1.5-2" wide chisels

Pwk5017

Well hot damn, I don't know why I glossed over the narex line. I forgot about them when I saw the veritas line didn't include a wide chisel. I keep thinking about buying 2-3 of the PM11, and so I had hoped they had a wide chisel to kick start things. I've heard nothing but good about the narex chisels. Can't beat the price either. 

I'm thinking 2", is that going too big for most functions?

9 minutes ago, Pwk5017 said:

I'm thinking 2", is that going too big for most functions?

I like it when doing Dutchmen.  One long straight edge.  Also comes in handy on some larger finger joints.

Not a lot of uses but, you're happy when you have it.

You might find a few cheaply in garage sales as that's where I got some of mine. The ones I got are made by Robert Sorby and William Marples in Sheffield England made back in the 1930s. Back in 2012 I also bought a new set of bench chisels from a German manufacturer called MHG. They are really good and go up to 2" in width.

• 3 weeks later...

This 2" narex is enormous! I shouldn't have been caught off guard, but taking this thing out of the box was shocking. So far flattening the back is a chore and a half. 30 mins and I'm still not there. What a pain in the ass. Of course my low spot has to be right at the tip. 

IMG_4623.JPG

Whelp, took another 15-20 mins, but we finally got there. No clue what they sharpen the primary bevel at, but I put all the edge I need in it rather quickly. 2-3 mins and it zings through paper.  I normally only flatten the first 2ish inches of my chisel backs, but this one took so long on the tip that I did most of the length. Really left me wishing the veritas bench chisels came in wider sizes, because I would happily pay another $40-50 to not have to spend so long on the stones. 

IMG_4628.JPG

IMG_4629.JPG

Haha, I know I had my doubts along the way too. After last night, I thought I had another 30+ mins in store for me  

I'm not sure what is in that photo, but yes I have a DMT for flattening my stones. After that I have shapton ceramics 6,000 and 8,000. Then, I have a norton combo 220/1000 stone. The norton isn't my favorite stone. I find it dishes really easily, doesn't cut particularly fast, and it doesn't match is a third strike.