Plane ID Help

jmack77

Hey Everyone,

Once again I come to you for help identifying a hand plane. This past fall a long time family friend passed away and her family gave me several hand planes that had belonged to her husband who had passed years ago.  This one is a block plane, and I thought it was a No. 9 1/2 at first, but now I'm not sure.   Any thoughts?  Thanks!!!

20170716_202838.jpg

20170716_202855_001.jpg

20170716_203536.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sigh.. So i finally had some time to try and clean up this plane. Turns out its a #19, coming in at 7 inches n length. Anywho, while trying to put this pin back in... Well, just look at the picture.

Am i done for? Or can i use an epoxy or something to reattach the broken piece?

20170802_213306.jpg

I've read a blog where planes were brazed back together to be good as new but it was done on a lark because the effort and skill involved makes it less worthwhile than buying a new one most of the time.  I think the one I had read was a #10 since they're a bit more rare.  If you or someone you know is good at brazing and would do it for fun and/or beer it can be repaired. 

This isn't the thread I recall but it has some useful discussion about the difficulties of soldering, brazing and so on of a cast iron plane:  http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?132219-Can-you-silver-solder-cast-iron