Had my 3rd lesson in you get what you pay for

elwoodblues

There's a saying I heard once that has been attributed to Henry Ford, although I haven't been able to verify it. But it's a great one, and goes something like this:

If you need an expensive tool for a task, and are worried about the cost, buy the tool. Tomorrow you won't miss the money, but you certainly will miss not having the tool.

• 3 weeks later...

How are the besseys in everyones opinion. Lowes in in spitting distance of my house, and I always see them and I get nervous on spending the money if theres something better out there at a competitive price. Marc prefers the jet clamps, and I value his opinion, seeing that I dont have the experience to say which one outweighs the other. What do you guys think?

There's a saying I heard once that has been attributed to Henry Ford, although I haven't been able to verify it. But it's a great one, and goes something like this:

This is so TRUE! I wrestle with this issue so much, but I've had the luxury through the show to find out how true it really is. Hopefully everyone had a chance to see the results from when I compared "premium" Veritas planes right out of the box to "not-so-premium" planes like Footprint or Groz and even a "no-where-near-premium" plane like Buck Bros.

Sometimes the effort to get a tool to "work good enough" isn't worth the time at all. But just like learning Habaneros aren't a good pepper for your omelet before work, you have to get stung a few times to appreciate the lessen.

This is so TRUE! I wrestle with this issue so much, but I've had the luxury through the show to find out how true it really is. Hopefully everyone had a chance to see the results from when I compared "premium" Veritas planes right out of the box to "not-so-premium" planes like Footprint or Groz and even a "no-where-near-premium" plane like Buck Bros.

Sometimes the effort to get a tool to "work good enough" isn't worth the time at all. But just like learning Habaneros aren't a good pepper for your omelet before work, you have to get stung a few times to appreciate the lessen.

What episode was that? Have not made it every far into your archive yet. I am enjoying the journey.

My dad always told me to buy a tool only once. Get the quality model and you won't be back in line buying it again. 99% of the time I follow that rule....except when I thought the price point on a porter cable planer sounded like a good idea. Didn't get through one board before I was at the service center getting my money back. Never again. Luckily, my wife supports the concept and somebody is getting a new bandsaw for tax day.

And I love the bessey clamps. I'm slightly annoyed that the chroming flakes if you get a little on them, but they are really reliable.

How are the besseys in everyones opinion. Lowes in in spitting distance of my house, and I always see them and I get nervous on spending the money if theres something better out there at a competitive price. Marc prefers the jet clamps, and I value his opinion, seeing that I dont have the experience to say which one outweighs the other. What do you guys think?

I have bessey and Jorgys and love them both, haven't tried the others. I started out with Bessy, where I'm located both cabinet masters and heavy duties are a few dollars less than the tradesman and K bodies which is why I switched. I do have a few shop fox f-style clamps that are not to bad the deep reach on them is nice but they do flex noticably under load. There's alot of old school in me though and still use my old ponies as much as anything else.

Go with Jet. Bessey was a great start on K-body parallel clamps, but now they're like the grandfather. Jet has greatly improved on the original design.

My view is a little different. If you're careful and lucky, the odds of getting what you pay for improve...but there's no guarantee, and there's no substitute for doing some homework. Information and patience are big factors in improving your odds. Relying on the good-will of your favorite brand name is a good way to learn the hard way.

...Sometimes you just pay more, but don't get more...

So I have had one of those days too, So sick and tired of dewalts junk batteries, and I refuse to buy the new charger and new batteries, with as much dewalt stuff I have they should give me the new and "improved batteries" because there junk didn't work right to begin with. We use our cordless tools everyday and it is so fustrating when it takes 6 batteries to get one project done. Thats my two cents with of rant and I feel better, thanks for listening.

But just like learning Habaneros aren't a good pepper for your omelet before work, you have to get stung a few times to appreciate the lessen.

That sounds great! I love omelets with "flavor". I might even have to try habaneros in a new version of the skillet breakfast, maybe even for dinner tonight!

Tim

You, know my wife gripes about how expensive woodworking is when it comes to tools. I keep reminding her that for the most part a lot of it a one time expense. Of course I get that eye roll.

However, the comment about no hobby being cheap is absolutely true. My wife does scrap booking as a hobby and just bought a new Cricut machine, replacing an older smaller one. The cartridges that these machines run off of are $80 a piece! I am not complaining, as if it is something one enjoys, and can be properly worked into the household budget, go for it!

As for the lesson learned, yep that is a hard lesson to learn, and to balance out. Clamps are a great discussion. The fact of the matter is a full set of clamps can cost as much if not more then a high end power tool. Personally, I have small number of clamps that are good and work well. I have a bunch of harbor freight clamps. Are they good? No. Do they get the job? For now. Will one or two eventually break at the worse possible moment? I am waiting on it! Are they cheap? I have seen their clamps for as low as $2 on sale. So for $50 I can get a set of clamps that I know will give and break sooner than later. My plan will be as these break, to replace them with a good clamp. This will help me buy a good collection of clamps one or two at a time, and still be able to glue projects together today. So did I waste $50? Would I have been better off waiting and only buying good clamps and restricting myself to smaller project or rely on the nail gun that so much that even Norm would cringe? Dunno, but I know there are many opinions on this subject.

Personally, I think it is having realistic expectations of what you are buying, and making an educated decision.

I just brought home a pair of quick release clamps from Harbor Freight yesterday. I am replacing two quick release clamps from Harbor Freight with these...because I just had the car repaired. The tools will definately hold their value longer than a car, and the good tools even more so.

I just can't afford the new "quality" clamps as quickly as I'd like.

(And the chuckle moment was when I brought the two clamps home, my father in law asked "don't you already have enough clamps?")

Heard this a long time ago... You can cuss when you buy it or cuss every time you use it.

Man isn't that true!!!

My wife is a professional photographer and that combined with my woodworking tools could really sink a household. Thankfully we, NOW, both see the value in not settling for what we can have at the moment vs getting what we need and can rely on later.

I've thrown my own good money away on "tools" that I knew better than to purchase, but just couldn't resist the impulse to pull the trigger. I just hope I don't regress later (chortle)!