Shop Apron

Chet

Some people use them some don't and I am one that uses a shop apron.  I have been in need of a new one for a while and decided to give this Rocker Shop Apron a try.  I have had it for just a short while but I am already real pleased with the purchase.  It has lots of room to adjust it, I am 6'2" and I can adjust it to a length of just above the knees.  The wide shoulder straps seem to do a nice job of staying of my neck.  There are four lower pockets that are a nice size for my tape measure and a couple of small double squares.  Nice pockets on top for pencils and small rule.  The denim seems durable but still not to heavy.

7 minutes ago, rodger. said:

I have the Lee Valley / Veritas canvas apron, which I like. It has a cross strap in the back so there is no weight around your neck.

I use the same one and have for years I really like it but it was getting pretty ragged so I ordered a new one last year. The apron is identical but the straps are not, as you mention, they are cross straps now which I really do not like. I only wore it twice before moving back to the old one. I need to fire up my sewing machine and switch it back to the single loop over the neck like my old one :) 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm very interested in an apron, because I've ruined probably 10-12 shirts. My big thing is.. are they made of material that glue doesn't stick to as much? Or is it just going to cake on until you got like an entire glue armor on your apron? And yeah, you can think "hey maybe you should be neater." Well, I'm 38 and there are no signs of neatness, so I'd rather just deal :) 

• Like 1

The one that I spoke of above is just a denim material and glue sticks to it.  Glue is going to stick to any apron.  This is my second in probably 5 years, you just have to replace them when they get to the point of bothering you.  I have gotten to were I keep paper towels in my apron pocket when I am doing a glue up.

• Like 1

I wanted something to keep sawdust off my clothes when using router or table saw.(if you're skimming the edge all the dust comes flying back at ya)   And when working with glue or finishes...

I was going to try that Rockler apron but they were out of stock at the time... so I stopped at a uniform store thinking I could find a lab coat.   Ended up with this shop coat:

http://www.redkap.com/Products/Details/358284

It was cheap, only $25... works real well.  The polyester fabric is pretty smooth and easy to brush off, and it has snaps so it's easy to put on.  Only concern is it has long sleeves, but I've been rolling them up for now, may take my sewing machine to it and shorten them to 3/4 length.   It has two pockets, so I have a place to put pencil... and collect sawdust.

It might even work with a lathe, if you added a button or safety pin or something on the top to close up the lapel around your throat.

My shop space is cooler most of the year, so extra layers aren't a bad thing.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Cliff said:

I'm very interested in an apron, because I've ruined probably 10-12 shirts. My big thing is.. are they made of material that glue doesn't stick to as much? Or is it just going to cake on until you got like an entire glue armor on your apron? And yeah, you can think "hey maybe you should be neater." Well, I'm 38 and there are no signs of neatness, so I'd rather just deal :) 

Same here.  I have a series of shirts dedicated for work, as they all have a touch of epoxy here or there.   Brand new work pants I'm wearing today, and I did a couple dozen mahogany/epoxy panel glue ups on the clamp carousel today.  Guess who's got epoxy on their pants now...  This guy.   

I'm a bigger guy, 6'2, broad in the reach as it were, and any apron I've tried either doesn't have the pockets in the right spots, doesn't fit (or go on easy), or is just uncomfortable...

1 hour ago, Marmotjr said:

Same here.  I have a series of shirts dedicated for work, as they all have a touch of epoxy here or there.   Brand new work pants I'm wearing today, and I did a couple dozen mahogany/epoxy panel glue ups on the clamp carousel today.  Guess who's got epoxy on their pants now...  This guy.   

I'm a bigger guy, 6'2, broad in the reach as it were, and any apron I've tried either doesn't have the pockets in the right spots, doesn't fit (or go on easy), or is just uncomfortable...

Yeah fit is a big concern for me. I'm not tall necessarily, but I am not thin.