Drawer slide sweet spot?

Cygnus A

I have 16 drawers to install and dont feel like spending $20 a pair. I used the KV economy slides for my router table and they came in around $7 per pair. The quality on these is kind of low. One things that bothers me is the slides dont all extend the same amount, so one side of the drawer will stop before the other side. What is something in between these extremes that would be suitable for a craft room (smooth operation and a quality fitment). 

I always get the full extension slides with overtravel, they pull out about 1 inch past full extension. This lets you get to the back of the drawer and lift something straight up. On KV slides if the number ends in " 05 " it's got over-travel , usually at no extra cost.

Often the less expensive slides are Asian imports. If the drawer is subjected to sideways pressure I have seen the ball bearings pop out of the race and fly everywhere. The $20 slide you are referring to is usually around $12-13 at my pro supply house. I have seen them last 25 years or more. So buyer beware, these days you pay for what you get and discounted slides are rarely a good value. 

• Like 1

I have used Mepla, Hettich and Grass with varying degrees of success, all acceptable.  I settled on KV's for the shop; full extension or over-travel as suits the need.  The one thing I will warn you about trying to go cheap . . . a well functioning drawer is a thing of beauty but, a poorly functioning drawer slide is a pain forever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gee-dub said:

The one thing I will warn you about trying to go cheap . . . a well functioning drawer is a thing of beauty but, a poorly functioning drawer slide is a pain forever.

Agree.

$300 plus for drawer slides can seem like a lot of money until you start getting frustrated with their performance.  Buying inexpensive and then replacing down the road because of the frustration usually ends up being the most expensive way to go about it.

• Like 1

I have used a few Fulterer slides in the past. They were pretty good but I found KV slides for slightly less and they were stocked in a wider range of sizes. Sometimes buying 2 cases of 10 pair ends up cheaper per slide. Can't hurt to have 4 extra pair of slides around either.