Shop Layout Options ... not sure which one or why...

bushwacked

So my options here... 

some info ... garage door is on south wall. House entrance and back patio entrance on are west and north walls. On both setups I will still have 8-10’ behind me before I hit the miter saw cabinets or the house door. Then another 10ish feet before I hit my east wall. 

1)

62AC68E3-BC05-453B-96C9-90B0DC7C8C25.thumb.jpeg.c64815d0f14aa388014acbc88688e9e7.jpeg

2)

E7BBF871-A09F-4FE6-9E51-E9258F6E247E.thumb.jpeg.d57ca0df1d8f2ecebed723b76c0ecc8e.jpeg

my thoughts on both ...

option 1 

Moving a sheet of ply would be easier outside than inside the garage. Although not too sure how much that would happen after I build the cabinets and outfeed and assembly tables though. 

Option 2 

once past the basic shop stuff I could cut while the garage door is closed. Keeping noise in if I’m working late at night. Dust collection would be easier to setup and would not have to deal with a garage door which most likely mean a stretchy hose running on the floor getting in the way. 

Im not sure the reason everyone puts the tablesaw at the driveway entrance. Are y’all ripping that long of boards all the time? I don’t mind carrying fresh lumber an extra few feet to get it to the back of the garage either. 

Thoughts on this? 

DFW so winter isn't an issue but blistering heat is, idk which is worse but i don't like heat. Thought is operating with the G-door open when you have long items on the table saw the few rare times.

Personally i didn't like the nested jointer table saw. I have the 30" saw so it puts the jointer in the way more often then is helpful. I'd consider putting the drill press in the miterstation. i could see the utility of having table space on both sides of the drill press for setting things down ect. Then you could use the wall where the bandsaw is for more space for a planer drum sander ect or even putting the jointer along the wall.

maxresdefault.jpg

Is option 2 predicated on the thought that long pieces can be fed in from the house door?

I like the orientation of the saw in option 2 because I think it gives better flexibility for working with the door closed.  However I'd swap the locations for the assembly table and saw/outfeed table, so that the assembly table would be closer to the rear wall where you could store assembly stuff - glue, clamps, scrapers, etc etc.

55 minutes ago, Jfitz said:

Is option 2 predicated on the thought that long pieces can be fed in from the house door?

I like the orientation of the saw in option 2 because I think it gives better flexibility for working with the door closed.  However I'd swap the locations for the assembly table and saw/outfeed table, so that the assembly table would be closer to the rear wall where you could store assembly stuff - glue, clamps, scrapers, etc etc.

Yes if needed I could open that house door real quick. I was thinking about that .. but the back right side of the wall will be lumber storage where the rectangles are hanging out over there. So I was thinking other storage would be on the east wall for assembly stuff as well as other misc things. 

44 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Where does your planer fit into this scheme? Presumably the flow is jointer -> planer -> table saw -> assembly table, right? I'd design with that process in mind. 

Planet is dewalt 13” so I’ll just pull it out and put it where I need to when planing. Not sure where yet but the outfeed or assembly table will have a storage spot for it. 

Are your tools going to be permanently placed? (no cars) If so this is what I would do. 

Capture.JPG.07e7d374ab65d8fb3c0fe4c9c1b8636c.JPG

Gives you about 6' to your main door, if you need more space to cut longer boards, open the door.  It allows you to work on 3 sides of your bench/assembly table and you can use the out feed table as an extension for your assembly/workbench.  As long as the jointer is mobile you can move it out of the way for bigger projects.  

I use a similar layout and really like it. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Are your tools going to be permanently placed? (no cars) If so this is what I would do. 

Capture.JPG.07e7d374ab65d8fb3c0fe4c9c1b8636c.JPG

Gives you about 6' to your main door, if you need more space to cut longer boards, open the door.  It allows you to work on 3 sides of your bench/assembly table and you can use the out feed table as an extension for your assembly/workbench.  As long as the jointer is mobile you can move it out of the way for bigger projects.  

I use a similar layout and really like it. 

The jointer will be the only permanent fixture as I don’t want to knock it out of alignment moving it. I will need to make sure all things can move a little. I promised the wife when the pineapple size hails comes through I could get her car in the garage. So I will position the jointer where it will fit for that. Everything else will be on wheels to move a few feet or so. 

9 hours ago, bushwacked said:

So my options here... 

some info ... garage door is on south wall. House entrance and back patio entrance on are west and north walls. On both setups I will still have 8-10’ behind me before I hit the miter saw cabinets or the house door. Then another 10ish feet before I hit my east wall. 

1)

62AC68E3-BC05-453B-96C9-90B0DC7C8C25.thumb.jpeg.c64815d0f14aa388014acbc88688e9e7.jpeg

2)

E7BBF871-A09F-4FE6-9E51-E9258F6E247E.thumb.jpeg.d57ca0df1d8f2ecebed723b76c0ecc8e.jpeg

my thoughts on both ...

option 1 

Moving a sheet of ply would be easier outside than inside the garage. Although not too sure how much that would happen after I build the cabinets and outfeed and assembly tables though. 

Option 2 

once past the basic shop stuff I could cut while the garage door is closed. Keeping noise in if I’m working late at night. Dust collection would be easier to setup and would not have to deal with a garage door which most likely mean a stretchy hose running on the floor getting in the way. 

Im not sure the reason everyone puts the tablesaw at the driveway entrance. Are y’all ripping that long of boards all the time? I don’t mind carrying fresh lumber an extra few feet to get it to the back of the garage either. 

Thoughts on this? 

Your second option is similar to what I am doing except my out feed is also my assembly table so I have a router table and dw735 on a stand where your assembly table is. I also have the drill press and bandsaw along the back wall and my jointer where your DP and bandsaw is. So, maybe not that similar. :) Where you have a miter station I have a second workbench I need to get out of there and then I'll probably move the planer or router table there (or both) until I get a drum sander. 

Anyway, I used to have the front of my table saw facing the big door but I really didn't need the space very often. A tracksaw all but ended long rips. Now I just stopped using my big garage door so I can gain the space of permanent tools there. 

25 minutes ago, VizslaDad said:

Do you often cut long work pieces? I would optimize for the most common operations in your workflow vs. nice-to-have-once-a-project situations...unless everything is on wheels.

I will when I start working on shop things, like cabinets and tables etc. After all those are built then I will be rarely cutting long pieces ... Which is why a version of #2 is what is growing on me.

I seldom rip anything longer than 4 feet.  But I do allow for moving a couple of tools to get my 8 feet if I really need it.

Are you planning on a router table? - where?  Are you planning for a separate work bench?

Think about where you want near you when you are working at each of your tools.  For example, I like to have a surface very near my saw to set pieces on when I am cutting several of of them.  Same for when I am routing several pieces at a time.  For that reason I put my router table on the left side of my saw.  The 2 surfaces can act as staging areas for each other.  My outfeed table is close enough to my planer and my band saw to be easily reached.  You get the idea.