Metal ducting options

jussi

I'm hoping to finally install my cyclone early next year and was wondering what kind of ducting you guys use.  I currently have 4" SD for my Delta dc but want to step it up to a 6" metal ducting when I put in the cyclone.  It's a 3hp Oneida.  Nordfab would be the ideal choice but too expensive for me.  What other options do you suggest looking into?  Thanks

I have an Oneida V-3000 (3HP).

I found a local(ish) supplier and got galvanized spiral wound round ducting.  Available in many sizes and also got the elbows, tees, reducers, etc. from them.  It’s not Nordfab so I connected each piece with short self-tapping screws (type used for wood stove vent piping) and then wrapped each seam with aluminum foil tape (not plastic or even cloth duct tape).  I also took the time to use silicone caulking to make sure all the joints in fittings were air tight.  According to a smoke test everything is sealed up and the system works great plus I have no concerns about accidentally collapsing any of the ducting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mat60 said:

Wouldn't the spiral ducting slow down air flow a little?

There is actually some supporting evidence that creating a spiral motion inside a fluid pipe increases the flow due to cutting down turbulent flow. I don't know how much this would work for dust collection systems but think riffle barrel not flex pipe.

2 hours ago, jussi said:

I'm hoping to finally install my cyclone early next year and was wondering what kind of ducting you guys use.  I currently have 4" SD for my Delta dc but want to step it up to a 6" metal ducting when I put in the cyclone.  It's a 3hp Oneida.  Nordfab would be the ideal choice but too expensive for me.  What other options do you suggest looking into?  Thanks

I recently did DWV PVC and it wasn't what i'd call cheap but it was easy. I think in my thread about my shop i compared the price of PVC to the cheapest metal ducting i could find. My shop sits around 20% RH and i don't notice any static what so ever open blast gates or on the surface of the pipe. There is also enough supporting evidence out there that states the bit of static that does build up does not create any sort of fire issue.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions guys. As I said I would love nordfab but I just can't justify the cost.  I still regret not jumping a deal on craigslist last year.  I like the idea of using a local place. I will do some research and see what I can find.  On that note, if anyone in the Los Angeles or OC area knows of such a place please post here or PM me.  Thanks

It's not the end of the world if you can't justify the cost of Nordfab. For a small fraction of the cost of Nordfab, I installed 26 Ga spiral duct with long radius elbows. At each fitting you just have to drive 3 sheet metal screws (which takes all of about 15 seconds) instead of snapping the Nordfab seal tight. Then seal the joints with aluminum duct tape or brush on duct sealant, either of which are quick & easy. A crimping tool is good to have.

If you plan on changing out your layout frequently, the Nordfab would be nice to have, but again, it's not hard to do with standard duct either.