New project teaser

curlyoak

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2018 at 9:56 AM, drzaius said:

Here's a photo of that very piece that was just posted by @I B in another thread. Gah! It's worse than I remembered.

20264955_936557793149154_433580839374504

Ha! I google searched this image, and it returned a bunch of wicker furniture.  Apparently this thing is so visually distracting, that Google's image algorithm thought it was made of wicker...

Sorry for the minor hijack, carry on with your awesome project Curlyoak.

• Like 1

When I get some finish going later I think the inlay will be looking good.

fullsizeoutput_1b1d.thumb.jpeg.986852a4697001ec4602aa964aa4c780.jpeg

This is the back side of the shelf. I built several mini i beams. It is glued and toe pin nailed to the bottom. I nailed through the top of the shelf. The shelf is 7' up. aAnd the holes a filled and sanded anyway. The I beams were fast and easy.

• Like 2

fullsizeoutput_1b38.thumb.jpeg.590a0f4bd690f67eb427d117ad5c34dc.jpeg

On the base unit, each end gets a frame and panel. The back edge of the  panel will touch the face of the book shelves. It makes an easy install because I intend to leave a 1/4" gap on the plywood behind the frame. If needed I could open the gap up to 3/4" but I do not expect to do so. There will be a base molding along the bottom everywhere. Added on the installation. This frame and panel is a design change. Originally it was to be a solid piece of 3/4" oak around 9" wide. I called it off. Everywhere on this project is frame and panel. Invented 300 years ago to deal with wood movement. I was concerned that if it was solid it could pop the face off the cabinet. So if that happened it would be criminal with frame and panel everywhere except the ends and have a problem. Client agreed. We both thought not curly as we have enough of that. It may have been a mechanical flaw. Too much effort to allow that possibility. Now we are good. The back edge is beveled so if we need a scribe it is there.

Punch list is getting small...

• Like 2

fullsizeoutput_1b40.thumb.jpeg.b15aacb8397105430aea45517b2547b4.jpegfullsizeoutput_1b3b.thumb.jpeg.a38010c67cbf909729e0533cfc414ef3.jpeg

Top is done. 2 tricks. Making the top with the end having a clean 90 degree on the ends is easy on smaller stuff like a cabinet door. But on a large, thick, heavy top, that is not possible. So I ripped it and joined it and glued it back together. Because it is the same board, the joint is invisible. Next is the routed edge. Above is a partial cut with the router. It would be tough to route the edge and avoid cutting into the cut so I clamped on a temporary block of wood. Worked fine.

Next is to make 8 shelves bread board ended. That still leaves the base molding but I choose to add that on the installation. So after the shelves and a big clean up, time to finish.

It has been fun making this unit.

• Like 1

It's coming together nicely. 

I was reading back over the journal and noticed you used KV 8400 slides. I use KV 8405 , same slide with an extra 1 1/2" overtravel. Gets the drawer out far enough to easily get to the stuff in the back. Same price too. Just have to add the 05 to most KV slides to get over travel.

3 hours ago, wdwerker said:

It's coming together nicely

Kind words from an excellent source. Thank you. I will look into the kv8405. Thanks for the tip. Another tip you mentioned previously is turn off the compressor. And I now do that. You have a lot of good ideas. Appreciated!

What kind of finish are you planning ?

So many of my tips are from learning the hard way.  Hose under pressure blew, 5 hp compressor ran all night, oil mist in the air and the noise was scary. Luckily it just overheated & ruined the head. New head and an oil change was all it needed. Must have added $20 to my power bill ! So now I turn off the compressor .

• Like 1

I use waterlox. Perfect for me. No room for a spray booth. After the big clean up there is some dust in the air. No problem. Buff it out and by the second coat no more airborne dust. And I like the finish. I imagine you are familiar with waterlox. I use the transparent sealer. 3 to 4 coats.