New project teaser

curlyoak

The end joint has dominos. It is very strong. I have made shelves like this many times including in my house. Not only strong but I believe helps keep the shelf flat. The only issue is that with movement sometimes the end piece is to big and sometimes to small from the movement. The slots for the dominos are wider than the domino. Titebond allows movement. Never had a break or crack. And it is QS white oak, kiln dried. This has a reputation for minimal movement...

IMG_3511.thumb.JPG.c4c703115e0807d3e3f81e2726928270.JPG

This shelf was made 28 years ago. Plus or minus a year. There are six more in this unit. All good. Some with a lot of weight. I have made countless shelves like this. Zero problems. And no warping. This was way before dominos. They all have splines with proper consideration of grain direction...

Nice looking thick shelves !

Sounds reasonable.  A 12" wide QSWO  shelf would only move about 3/16 if the moisture content doubled from 7% to 14%, which is highly unlikely for a finished shelf in a home with HVAC. Up or down a full percent might be possible. That might cause 1/32 to 1/16 movement which your method should handle. Reality is closer to up or down 1/2% after its acclimated to the home.  I've seen the most movement in the first months as the wood gradually dries out a bit from whatever it picked up at the lumberyard and your shop. So a tiny amount of shrinkage shouldn't be a big thing.

If you are talking about a 24" to 42" wide tabletop or counter I wouldn't glue the outer Dominos. Up or down 3/16 over a year is a real possibility. I would allow for twice that, but if you haven't had to replace a desktop for a banker in a corner office maybe you need to learn like I did.

fullsizeoutput_1b41.thumb.jpeg.bd9a78c80dd3fd83b7ac85c9af43cfc7.jpeg

This table top is 41" wide. 20 years old. Right now the end cap is longer than the top by about 1/32. In the spring and fall No ac or heat it goes the other way. The end cap is glued with titebond. It might be pre titebond III. 6/4 QWO. No cracks, breaks or problems. I'm lucky...Here in Florida low humidity is around 50%. When it is real high it is also hot. That means AC. Maybe that has something to do with the success. Snow birds leave for the summer. If they  do not maintain lower humidity via AC or devices to lower the humidity they will have trouble. I've seen it. Including mold and mildew. Not pretty. Humidity here can get very high in the summer...This table has slots underneath for the screws that hold it down to allow for movement.

• 3 weeks later...

Your work looks great ! It's always nice when a clients belongings enhance the appearance of something you have worked so hard to create. Definitly a piece worthy of a date and a signature.  Sometimes I even staple or glue a business card in the same area. 

The TV would look better raised up or wall mounted in my opinion. 

49 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Your work looks great ! It's always nice when a clients belongings enhance the appearance of something you have worked so hard to create. Definitly a piece worthy of a date and a signature.  Sometimes I even staple or glue a business card in the same area. 

The TV would look better raised up or wall mounted in my opinion. 

For sure.

Thank you for the nice words! The client moved 3 months ago which caused the need for me. They have patiently waited with boxes waiting to be un packed. The few things near the TV and on the shelves were the top layers to come out of the box. The final arrangement to unfold. The TV is now the old TV and temporary. The new one is bigger and will have a sound bar that also is a bracket for the TV. I'm told. I signed the bottom of the top middle drawer. I varnished over my signature. The drawer underneath has a wooden center guide. I slipped a card under the guide. I am proud of this. A personal goal is to always strive to do the work better. This was my best work. But I know how I can do better. My thinking is if you are not getting better you are getting worse. No standing still. I have never shared a project this way. I enjoyed it. People are nice here! Thank you all!

Not pictured as well but equally as nice matched figure is the 4 panels on the 2 bookcases. All the figured is finished 2 sides. Time consuming and demanding. And I like the wow factor too...

I expect I will have better pictures later and I will post them.

• Like 1