New project teaser

curlyoak

I have not. I think you would be subject to tear out. And sanding is the safe choice. The wood is to valuable to risk it. Every fraction of an inch you are changing from with the grain to against. Over and over. You'd need a very sharp plane. It would still tear out. I liked the results. I'll stick with my process...

• Like 1

K Cooper, the panels you see will be used for the 2 towers. In the picture the panels are resting on the styles. The drawer fronts will not be curly. It is quartered white oak. I love figured wood. For my taste too much figured can be overwhelming. Kinda like Mr. T. Ten pounds of jewelry around his neck looks ostentatious. In that 10 pounds there may be some great art work. And that alone would look good. I like to show it off.

Steve, I was making quarter turns and giving it 3 passes. I'll try your way. Do you make one pass per turn? It is a slow process. But I like the outcome!

As the grit gets finer I will take smaller percent of a turn. Tiny adjustments let you keep the feed rate up. I do a stack of similar parts at each setting. Pencil marks across the board are handy indicators that you've got all or most of that face done. Pencil marks the lenght of the board can be put in the scratch so you can tell if your getting those out. Running the boards at a slight angle lets you see the scratches easier, then go straighter as the grit gets finer. Yes it's tedious but the results are consistent, especially in figured or expensive wood.

I do like figured wood. Curly oak included. Due to cost, labor and materials, It is not so easy to get my customers to pay up. If I used some exotic high priced veneer plywood for the bulk heads in the picture, I could reduce labor by 75%. I'm fortunate that there are some that like it and are willing to pay for it. I only build on custom orders and order material as the project requires. When and if I find exceptional figured wood and a fair price, I buy it. Project or not. It does not come around that often...