Paying For Forrest Blade Sharpening

Keggers

I have three Forrest blades that I need to Forrest for sharpening. I printed the request form from their website and at the bottom there are options to pay. One is to include a check and the other is for credit card information. I'd like to pay the bill with my company credit card but I have concerns about providing the card number and info on their sheet for anyone to see. I was hoping those who have used Forrest to sharpen blades can give me some insight on how you paid for the service. Thanks!

You can call them about it.  I had the same concern, since the only "credit card" I have is also the debit card to my bank account.  They just called me with the amount, once they figured out what it was (a complicated combination sharpening, and replacing blades that needed to be replaced), and I gave them the numbers over the phone.  They're pretty easy to deal with.

edited to add:   I've never filled out a form.  I just send them a box of stuff, and a sheet of paper with some handwritten directions, and questions.  They always call me to discuss.   That's the way I've done business with them since the '80's.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom King said:

You can call them about it.  I had the same concern, since the only "credit card" I have is also the debit card to my bank account.  They just called me with the amount, once they figured out what it was (a complicated combination sharpening, and replacing blades that needed to be replaced), and I gave them the numbers over the phone.  They're pretty easy to deal with.

Thanks Tom. That's exactly what I'll do.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Have you consider a local blade sharpener? There are tons of places around me at least both in ND and here in MN that i can drop the blade off at and it saves me shipping costs.

I don't really have the option of a local blade sharpener. Small town U.S.A.

I edited my first post here.  I guess I should have just made another post. 

copied and pasted:  edited to add:   I've never filled out a form.  I just send them a box of stuff, and a sheet of paper with some handwritten directions, and questions.  They always call me to discuss.   That's the way I've done business with them since the '80's.

31 minutes ago, Tom King said:

copied and pasted:  edited to add:   I've never filled out a form.  I just send them a box of stuff, and a sheet of paper with some handwritten directions, and questions.  They always call me to discuss.   That's the way I've done business with them since the '80's.

They provide a form which makes it easy to tell them what you're needing.  There's even a box to check for them to call as well as a couple of lines for additional info.

1 hour ago, Keggers said:

Thanks Tom. That's exactly what I'll do.

I don't really have the option of a local blade sharpener. Small town U.S.A.

If you've checked there isn't anything you can do but there isn't any harm in checking. These guys are pretty middle of no where http://ozarksawandtool.com/4601.html.

The place i went in Bismarck i found by asking the guys at the lumber yard, would have never found it on a search engine.

1 hour ago, Tom King said:

Tom if you fill out their form they won't have to call you. ;)

I would not send a Forrest blade to anyone else but Forrest well worth the effort.

I usually have more than cut and dry questions.  Sometimes I don't know if a blade has another sharpening in it or not, but I send it, and leave it to them. If I have a question about maybe one doesn't have another sharpening in it, I just line that one out as replace if needed, or sharpen if it has another one in it.   Some of my blades aren't even on their price sheet any more, but they still have some.  Also, I don't bother to count any teeth that need to be replaced. 

I've done it enough times, that it works out fine for us on both ends.  They just give me a total price.   I give them the current card numbers, and I get a box of good stuff back.

Don’t want to muddy the waters, but consider Dynamic Saw in Buffalo. They have some wacky advanced Cnc sharpener and I found them to be very reasonable. I sent them half a dozen festool, Forrest, and Felder blades and I think it was under or around $100 total. 

I found my local sharpener to be alright. They are cheap, but I don’t think they did a fantastic job. When it comes to sharpening a $100+ blade, I want to know the grind angle is perfect and consistent on every tooth. 

Im sure forrest does an awesome job, and i was about to send a bunch of blades to them until someone at sawmill creek suggested dynamic. This video of their machine and their price list did it for me. I attached my actual invoice for what i sent to them a couple months ago. They do jointer/planer blades too. Check the prices back to the Forrest website, they are almost half off. Your stuff, your choice, but most pros consider forrest to be grossly overpriced. 

invoice.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pwk5017 said:

Im sure forrest does an awesome job, and i was about to send a bunch of blades to them until someone at sawmill creek suggested dynamic. This video of their machine and their price list did it for me. I attached my actual invoice for what i sent to them a couple months ago. They do jointer/planer blades too. Check the prices back to the Forrest website, they are almost half off. Your stuff, your choice, but most pros consider forrest to be grossly overpriced.

That is similar to the sharpening machine that Acme Tools uses and i get drop off service with them. Prices are the same and i don't have to pay shipping in any direction.

On 2/14/2018 at 9:18 AM, Pwk5017 said:

invoice.JPG

That’s a helluva machine and one clean shop! 

Back when I first started, in the '70's, and into the early '80's, when building suppliers were stand alone, usually multi-generational family businesses, around here anyway, there used to be weekly pickup of stuff to be sharpened.  A guy would come in a regular sized van, drop off the sharpened saw blades, jointer and planer knives, and handsaws that had been sharpened, and pick up the ones to be sharpened.  There were no shipping fees.

I don't remember how much it cost for blades and knives, but remember it was 2 dollars for a hand saw.   I was a young man then, but always hired the most experienced carpenters, which made them also the oldest.  Those guys couldn't believe that anyone would pay as much as 2 dollars to have a hand saw sharpened.  In those days, carpenters used handsaws MUCH more than they do today.  I learned a lot from those guys, who have all passed on now.  They could sharpen a handsaw in a few minutes.

• Like 1