Supermax conveyor stopped

bleedinblue

In use tonight, I was just thinking that the Supermax (one of the new 16-32s) had lost calibration, again.  The outboard side was a tad higher than the inboard.  I had calibrated it when I got it put together using a wide piece of mdf, then it lost calibration a month later, I re-did it, and now it's out again. 

Maybe the machine sensed my frustration, because the conveyor stopped.  The motor runs, whine that keeps pace with the speed dial, but the conveyor doesn't run.  I'm guessing it's belt driven?  Could the drive belt have broke or come off the pulley?

I literally just came upstairs and haven't researched this yet, but if anyone knows the culprit I'm all ears.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, bleedinblue said:

In use tonight, I was just thinking that the Supermax (one of the new 16-32s) had lost calibration, again.  The outboard side was a tad higher than the inboard.  I had calibrated it when I got it put together using a wide piece of mdf, then it lost calibration a month later, I re-did it, and now it's out again. 

Maybe the machine sensed my frustration, because the conveyor stopped.  The motor runs, whine that keeps pace with the speed dial, but the conveyor doesn't run.  I'm guessing it's belt driven?  Could the drive belt have broke or come off the pulley?

I literally just came upstairs and haven't researched this yet, but if anyone knows the culprit I'm all ears.

I looked into this because mine has conveyor problems as well. One common problem is for the coupler between the motor shaft and the conveyor belt rod to be disconnected / too loose.

http://www.supermaxtools.com/wp-content/uploads/19-38-Drum-Sander-DIGITAL.pdf

Go to page 19 where the troublehsooting section is...I don't see an exact match at first glance, but if you follow steps to fix a "shaft couple loose" or a similar step you might find a solution.  I had to spend a little time looking at the diagrams in the back of the manual to figure out what each part was named, but maybe that's just me...it's a pretty good manual, one of the few worth opening IMO.

• Like 1

Someone on FB suggested the coupling between the motor and the conveyor too.  That definitely seems right.  I just ran down for a quick check and I see the flat part of the rod on the conveyor shaft, but nothing on the motor side.  When I have more time I'll start taking things apart.

• Like 1

This is distressing.  My 19-38 has been flawless.  I would contact Spuermax, they are always really helpful if I ever have a question. 

For the 19-38 the motor is direct drive to the shaft via the coupler shown in the parts breakdown in the manual.  The coupler is held by two set screws (one for each part; motor and drive axle).  I suppose this could be a QA issue with tightening the grubs.  Even if you challenged the machine enough to fail that connection I would think the 'intellisand' would kick in way ahead of that.  I do keep my eye on the 'intellisand' LED and quickly back off (raise the height) if it starts to light up. 

I have never had to re-calibrate my machine since initial setup in 2013 and it gets used . . . a lot.   I use the machine for many things but, thicknessing thin stock is one where I am using calipers to track my progress.  It is important to remember the sander is not a planer. 

Unless you are running 36 grit for aggressive stock removal, many light and complete passes are required.  That is, just because the material gets through the machine at full speed doesn't mean it is "done". I will generally take "one more" pass to be sure everything is consistent. Your need for this will depend on the task at hand.

Please keep us updated.  I hope their popularity hasn't led to a drop in QA.

Yes this is distressing, i just bought a 16-32. I've used it a bit on my Morris chair build but i haven't really pushed it too far. Also note when calling the laguna supermax merger might still be in process so if it seems a bit disorganized just try and remember that. When i bought mine the guy at woodcraft said supermax was in the process of shifting their inventory from Dayton, MN to CA

This is definitely still under warranty.  I think I received it sometime in october(?) 

It hasn't seen heavy use and I haven't beat the hell out of it, 120 grit all the time and I adjust feed rate according to the intellisand. 

I unmounted the motor hoping to see something obvious.  I did.  Or didn't.  I'm not positive. 

The shaft coming off the conveyor, the rod that goes into the motor, is smooth.  I expected a flat spot, gears or a nib.  Something, bit instead it was perfectly round and the motor slid off without resistance after the mounting screws were removed (red flag) 

With the motor powered on and in hand it is obvious the motor is spinning.  So, I unplugged it and removed the four screws holding the case door. 

Inside was the gears.  I wiped the grease from the outer gear and it looks to me like the rod going into the center is snapped.  It's not smoothly machined and sliiightly jagged. 

This is as far as I'm willing to go though, if I start taking gears out I'll never get them back. 

Still waiting to hear back from SM.  I'll be able to call them in the morning if they haven't responded by then. 

20180221_092127.jpg

20180221_092110.jpg

20180221_092102.jpg

1 hour ago, AceHoleInOne said:

Did you check the tension of the conveyor itself? 

-Ace-

Yup, not a tension issue.  The drive roller was definitely not spinning at all.  I think the belt loosened a bit when I took the motor off. 

33 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

Yep, we're giving you bad data.  It is a different design.  Here's your 16-32:

Versus my 19-38:

Its negligence that I didn't look for that diagram before.

Based on that, I definitely think the connection rod actually broke.  When I took the motor off, there was no rod extending past the motor casing at all.  In the diagram it extends out of the motor a little and connects to the drive roller on the conveyor side of the mounting plate (#5) 

Crap. 

11 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

Crap, I just assumed it was the same 19-38 that "most" of us have. My mistake.

When I realized you had posted the manual to the 19-38 I looked up the manual to the 16-32, the troubleshooting had the exact same verbiage.   The machines are different, but close enough that it was still sound advice. 

I won't be fully satisfied until the sander is back up and running, but I am cautiously optimistic that Laguna is handling this perfectly. 

I had hoped to avoid telephone calls and do it by email, envisioning an hour long wait time and half hour with someone who doesn't speak English.  I instead got through right away and was on the phone for three minutes with someone who spoke half English.  I call it a win. 

A couple of emails and some pictures and they are sending me either a motor or a replacement shaft no problem. 

Easy peasy. 

As long as it works. 

Just got shipping info.  They're sending a new conveyor motor, happy face.  It's not going to ship out til Monday, sad pants. 

I guess I'll spend my free time for the next few days doing a mid project clean/organize.  I know my dust collector needs the filter banged out, that's always fun.  :wacko:

2 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

Just got shipping info.  They're sending a new conveyor motor, happy face.  It's not going to ship out til Monday, sad pants. 

I guess I'll spend my free time for the next few days doing a mid project clean/organize.  I know my dust collector needs the filter banged out, that's always fun.  :wacko:

You could also translate the arch down from the top and bottom rails and start working on the side slat material. Matching the arc perfect isn't really relevant as any small variations will be separated to not be noticeable. I'd use the bending form or even get that 1 arm glued up and use that. If you don't have an arm leave the top most arc that mates with the arm until you have that glued and out of the form. I think i even waited on that one till after i had the through mortise and rear mortise chopped.