Can't raise or lower blade

pd711

I have a new PM1000. Been using it sporadically for the past 2 months. Love it.

But while using it today I can't raise or lower the blade. Like all of a sudden. I made a few cuts then needed to use my crosscut sled so I raised the blade, made my cross cuts then changed out to my dado stack, started to lower the blade and it got real tight real fast and I can't move it up or down. The handle won't turn. The locking handle is not tight, the worm gear is clear. The inside of the cabinet is clean. No debris in the way that I can see. I use dust collection every time I use the saw. I took out the dado set and I can't see anything that's obvious. I'm scratching my head on this one.

14 hours ago, AceHoleInOne said:

Can you fit a small mirror down the throat to see if a small amount of off-fall may be jamming something? 

-Ace-

I can pretty much see every where and nothing is visibly jamming anything

13 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Completely remove the locking knob ? Maybe something got jammed ?

Tried that

10 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Sounds like a chip wedged in the lead screw. Usually they get pushed aside as the screw turns, but I had the occasional bit with just the right taper to wedge itself in the threads. Most of the time, backing out the screw (turning it opposite) lets tge chip work out.

I can't turn the handle in either direction. It's seized.

I have a feeling I'm going to have to start taking it apart to find whats wrong. Really didn't want to have to do that.

55 minutes ago, pdacey08 said:

I can pretty much see every where and nothing is visibly jamming anything

Tried that

I can't turn the handle in either direction. It's seized.

I have a feeling I'm going to have to start taking it apart to find whats wrong. Really didn't want to have to do that.

I hate to tell you to start cranking on that thing, but if you were able to turn the handle before which likey jammed something, I think you'll have to start by getting it backed off. 

If there is something stuck or preloaded with tension when you start talking stuff apart, chances are you won't be able to see the obstruction well if at all or could hurt yourself when it comes free with your hands all up in that business.

I would attach a cheater bar to the lift lower wheel and VERY gently apply pressure, watch constantly for any bending,  backing off of the direction you jammed it in and I'd bet you dislodge whatever you lodged

It's a bent shaft.

Finally had time to really take a look at it. The shaft has a slight bend to it and its stuck inside the eccentric bushing. I loosened the nut that holds the bushing and was able to raise and lower everything. Don't know how it bent.

I'll have to get a replacement shaft and bushing. Anyone know if you can get the shaft out without pulling the motor?

Which part?   I'm thinking part 139 in the second schematic, but can't tell by the exploded view what needs to come off first to get to it.

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/powermatic-pm1000-1791001k-10inch-cabinet-saw-parts-c-32549_32640_388351.html

I can't think of what could have bent it, unless the adjustment was forced with the lock on, and then the eccentric bushing bent the shaft.

You might want to remove the top for better access but I don't see why you couldn't make a quick cradle to carry the motors weight while you pull that shaft.  I had to get into my UniSaw & replace the arbor and yoke ( long story ) . I remember zipping out a cradle on the bandsaw to support the motor. 

1 hour ago, Tom King said:

Which part?   I'm thinking part 139 in the second schematic, but can't tell by the exploded view what needs to come off first to get to it.

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/powermatic-pm1000-1791001k-10inch-cabinet-saw-parts-c-32549_32640_388351.html

I can't think of what could have bent it, unless the adjustment was forced with the lock on, and then the eccentric bushing bent the shaft.

Part 139 is bent inside of part 141. Or they're both bent. As soon as I loosened the nut (part 142) I could rotate everything and the motor moved up and down freely.

I don't know how it could have bent either. I've only had the saw about 2 months and haven't used it that much.