Sign in to follow this  
Cheeset202

Another Roubo!!!

Recommended Posts

Yeah, I thought about drilling out the waste with a 1/2” forstner bit then cleaning up with a chisel but any excuse to add to my router bit collection works and it’s not like I didn’t have a bunch of other work to do on the bench, like making up the leg blanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, K Cooper said:

A man of your means, you’d have done the same;)

A man of my patience could never wait on two day delivery. Hence I finished my bench in something stupid like 17 days. 

 

10 hours ago, Cheeset202 said:

Yeah, I thought about drilling out the waste with a 1/2” forstner bit then cleaning up with a chisel but any excuse to add to my router bit collection works and it’s not like I didn’t have a bunch of other work to do on the bench, like making up the leg blanks!

I get it but any chance for some ribbing in a roubo bench build shall not be missed. It's on the welcome sign.

It's looking great so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

A man of my patience could never wait on two day delivery. Hence I finished my bench in something stupid like 17 days. 

 

I get it but any chance for some ribbing in a roubo bench build shall not be missed. It's on the welcome sign.

It's looking great so far.

Not a problem, I expect some ribbing from this group!  17 Days, now that is impressive!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bench is looking great!  

Assuming your weather was similar to mine, you picked a great evening for a fire!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ..Kev said:

Bench is looking great!  

Assuming your weather was similar to mine, you picked a great evening for a fire!

Yes, beautiful day and another one today, sure beats the weather I had out East in Philly, rained 6/7 days..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great weekend in the shop, got all the joinery done on the base, everything went smoothly, love me some mortise and tenons!  Onto the leg vise.

A9B4A3BF-AE4C-451B-A489-9079E5BB9752.jpeg

3504270C-30BE-4DF3-9983-1B608760A9E6.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking great.  Nice progress.

I still don't have the material sourced for the base of mine.  I am still mulling over whether a shorter stub tennon or the full double tennon/dovetail tennon will be used.  What were your thoughts on going with the shorter tennon into the top?  I just can't seem to make up my mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jim DaddyO said:

Looking great.  Nice progress.

I still don't have the material sourced for the base of mine.  I am still mulling over whether a shorter stub tennon or the full double tennon/dovetail tennon will be used.  What were your thoughts on going with the shorter tennon into the top?  I just can't seem to make up my mind.

Pretty much following Marc’s video instructions.  You really don’t need much of a tenon when joining the base to the top given the weight of the top slabs plus it is anchored with 3/8” screws.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Cheeset202 said:

Pretty much following Marc’s video instructions.  You really don’t need much of a tenon when joining the base to the top given the weight of the top slabs plus it is anchored with 3/8” screws.

Yep those slabs aren't going anywhere well unless you hit it with your truck maybe :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Jim DaddyO said:

Looking great.  Nice progress.

I still don't have the material sourced for the base of mine.  I am still mulling over whether a shorter stub tennon or the full double tennon/dovetail tennon will be used.  What were your thoughts on going with the shorter tennon into the top?  I just can't seem to make up my mind.

I wish I had done a captured rising tenon through the top of mine simply for the look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

I wish I had done a captured rising tenon through the top of mine simply for the look.

My thoughts on that is that I have never done it before and the challenge of cutting it is both intimidating and holds a lot of interest.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jim DaddyO said:

My thoughts on that is that I have never done it before and the challenge of cutting it is both intimidating and holds a lot of interest.  

To caveat my statement, I wish I had planned to do it from the very beginning, and planed/cut the joint into the last slab boards and leg glue up before final assembly of the slabs. I wouldn't go back on an assembled slab and cut the rising dt. Getting the very corners of the mortise to be a sharp edge to support the tennons all the way down on those angleswould be very difficult. For me at least. Planning from the beginning and cutting/fitting the joint with the ts just requires doing it earlier in the milling stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this