Another Roubo!!!

Yeah, I thought about drilling out the waste with a 1/2” forstner bit then cleaning up with a chisel but any excuse to add to my router bit collection works and it’s not like I didn’t have a bunch of other work to do on the bench, like making up the leg blanks!

10 hours ago, K Cooper said:

A man of your means, you’d have done the same;)

A man of my patience could never wait on two day delivery. Hence I finished my bench in something stupid like 17 days. 

10 hours ago, Cheeset202 said:

Yeah, I thought about drilling out the waste with a 1/2” forstner bit then cleaning up with a chisel but any excuse to add to my router bit collection works and it’s not like I didn’t have a bunch of other work to do on the bench, like making up the leg blanks!

I get it but any chance for some ribbing in a roubo bench build shall not be missed. It's on the welcome sign.

It's looking great so far.

7 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

A man of my patience could never wait on two day delivery. Hence I finished my bench in something stupid like 17 days. 

I get it but any chance for some ribbing in a roubo bench build shall not be missed. It's on the welcome sign.

It's looking great so far.

Not a problem, I expect some ribbing from this group!  17 Days, now that is impressive!

• 2 weeks later...

Looking great.  Nice progress.

I still don't have the material sourced for the base of mine.  I am still mulling over whether a shorter stub tennon or the full double tennon/dovetail tennon will be used.  What were your thoughts on going with the shorter tennon into the top?  I just can't seem to make up my mind.

9 hours ago, Jim DaddyO said:

I still don't have the material sourced for the base of mine.  I am still mulling over whether a shorter stub tennon or the full double tennon/dovetail tennon will be used.  What were your thoughts on going with the shorter tennon into the top?  I just can't seem to make up my mind.

Pretty much following Marc’s video instructions.  You really don’t need much of a tenon when joining the base to the top given the weight of the top slabs plus it is anchored with 3/8” screws.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Cheeset202 said:

Pretty much following Marc’s video instructions.  You really don’t need much of a tenon when joining the base to the top given the weight of the top slabs plus it is anchored with 3/8” screws.

Yep those slabs aren't going anywhere well unless you hit it with your truck maybe :) 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jim DaddyO said:

I wish I had done a captured rising tenon through the top of mine simply for the look.

1 hour ago, Jim DaddyO said:

My thoughts on that is that I have never done it before and the challenge of cutting it is both intimidating and holds a lot of interest.  

To caveat my statement, I wish I had planned to do it from the very beginning, and planed/cut the joint into the last slab boards and leg glue up before final assembly of the slabs. I wouldn't go back on an assembled slab and cut the rising dt. Getting the very corners of the mortise to be a sharp edge to support the tennons all the way down on those angleswould be very difficult. For me at least. Planning from the beginning and cutting/fitting the joint with the ts just requires doing it earlier in the milling stage.