Another Roubo!!!

14 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Well i have to wait at least 7 weeks. I have no way to get lumber ... I'm hoping to do this in 2019 but it's going to be a battle between the bench and a cedar strip canoe. This is why it gets put off. I always think of things i'd like that aren't shop tools that I'd rather make.

I took a class at WoodenBoat School in 2016 where we built a cedar strip canoe it’s was a blast and hope to make my own someday as well.

23 hours ago, Chestnut said:

. I always think of things i'd like that aren't shop tools that I'd rather make.

Same here except I start most projects, get into the actual build and set it aside for something " higher priority" aka something I want to do more.

Currently I'm on a moratorium from and fresh starts. I had 6 unfinished projects going on at one time that needed done so no new projects till those are done and a storage solution is made for the shop.

• 2 weeks later...

On 7/17/2018 at 5:02 AM, Chestnut said:

Well i have to wait at least 7 weeks. I have no way to get lumber ... I'm hoping to do this in 2019 but it's going to be a battle between the bench and a cedar strip canoe. This is why it gets put off. I always think of things i'd like that aren't shop tools that I'd rather make.

On 7/17/2018 at 7:07 PM, pkinneb said:

I took a class at WoodenBoat School in 2016 where we built a cedar strip canoe it’s was a blast and hope to make my own someday as well.

Cedar strip canoe is something I want to do also. All in good time I guess. 

@Cheeset202 So is the Roubo everything you dreamed it was? Is it better  .... worse?

Sorry for the HJ

45 minutes ago, MattF said:

Cedar strip canoe is something I want to do also. All in good time I guess. 

My debate is between a single person canoe or a 2 person .... i'd love to make a small light fast one for just me to go fishing but it'd also be fun to run the Mississippi so a larger more stable river canoe that i could bring some one with would be fun as well. It's goign to lead to me building 2 of them.

I'd love to someday canoe the Mississippi from the headwaters all the way to lock and dam #1. Boundary waters is also on the list.

On 7/17/2018 at 9:07 PM, pkinneb said:

I remember you posting about that. You and watching some of the Offerman videos on building the canoe made me realize they aren't as difficult as i made them out to be.

34 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I remember you posting about that. You and watching some of the Offerman videos on building the canoe made me realize they aren't as difficult as i made them out to be.

Nope just different from what we are used too kinda like doing a sculpted rocker (bars stools in my case.) Where typically we woodworkers are look for everything to be square on those projects its all about getting fair curves

• 4 months later...