Another Roubo!!!

Making the end cap for the second time today, put template on wrong the first time and drilled holes in wrong location!  Stupid mistake but those do happen, what’s the saying “measure twice cut once”.  In my case it was “attach template, drill main screw hole, realize it does not look right, (swear several times) start over”!

1F2E8106-F84A-48BC-A1ED-E169298BBA90.jpeg

• Haha 2

On 4/29/2018 at 7:31 AM, Cheeset202 said:

Making the end cap for the second time today, put template on wrong the first time and drilled holes in wrong location!  Stupid mistake but those do happen, what’s the saying “measure twice cut once”.  In my case it was “attach template, drill main screw hole, realize it does not look right, (swear several times) start over”!

1F2E8106-F84A-48BC-A1ED-E169298BBA90.jpeg

You are not alone!! I did the same exact thing! 

15 hours ago, Cheeset202 said:

Ok now I don’t feel so lame, it was actually very easy to do!  It won’t be my last mistake in woodworking!  Appreciate you fessing up!

Haha, I'll always admit to doing something stupid, as long as it doesnt get me in trouble.

I got the dog hole strip completed, pretty straight forward, measured twice ( actually at least 3 times) and routed once.  It was a lot of routing, took my time and it came out pretty nice.  Next, the face piece with the dovetails or should I say condor tails!

FBEC0755-A625-4936-99E0-72070F80CA7A.jpeg

01185F7F-3E74-49EB-A83F-1A92704C25F9.jpeg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, woodbutcher said:

Looking awesome. Are you enjoying the build thus far?

Yes it is a fun build, love working with big pieces of wood, Marc’s video directions make it a pretty easy build so far, just pay attention to the templates - see above!  I like reading the comments sections on each stage of the build as other folks have come up with great suggestions to help you along.  Knowing that I am building a lifelong tool for my shop makes this an exceptional project that will see more use than any other tool I have.  I have progressed over the years to using more hand tools and I consider a bench like this as a necessary addition to my shop.  Wished I built it years ago!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cheeset202 said:

Yes it is a fun build, love working with big pieces of wood, Marc’s video directions make it a pretty easy build so far, just pay attention to the templates - see above!  I like reading the comments sections on each stage of the build as other folks have come up with great suggestions to help you along.  Knowing that I am building a lifelong tool for my shop makes this an exceptional project that will see more use than any other tool I have.  I have progressed over the years to using more hand tools and I consider a bench like this as a necessary addition to my shop.  Wished I built it years ago!

With that in mind, I would try to mail the fit of the tray strips to fit in between your slabs. I left mine a bit loose the first time and it was annoying as all hell trying to plane against. Remade one in an hour one day and love it now

19 hours ago, Cheeset202 said:

Thanks Brendon, I will make sure the center strip is a good fit.

That being said, if you're making the bench in the winter, don't make it too tight. I had mine so it was a nice fit before the summer, and by the fall I had to get it out with a mallet. I ended up planing a bit off three times before I stopped having sticking issues. My slabs obviously weren't as stable as would have been ideal - I think some of my boards were quartersawn, so orienting them 90 degrees left me with movement in the wrong direction.

1 hour ago, SawDustB said:

That being said, if you're making the bench in the winter, don't make it too tight. I had mine so it was a nice fit before the summer, and by the fall I had to get it out with a mallet. I ended up planing a bit off three times before I stopped having sticking issues. My slabs obviously weren't as stable as would have been ideal - I think some of my boards were quartersawn, so orienting them 90 degrees left me with movement in the wrong direction.

I really wanted to make a smart ass comment about it being may, but then realized, I'm dumb. 

1 hour ago, SawDustB said:

That being said, if you're making the bench in the winter, don't make it too tight. I had mine so it was a nice fit before the summer, and by the fall I had to get it out with a mallet. I ended up planing a bit off three times before I stopped having sticking issues...

This was what happened to me as well.

54 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:
2 hours ago, SawDustB said:

36 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

This was what happened to me as well.

I'm chocking this up to geographical bias. I naturally think that because southern California doesn't have seasons, that nobody else does either.

• Haha 1

Yep, we got all four seasons up here.  I will take into account the seasonal changes with the center strip.  Given I will be most likely be building it in June or July that will be at it,s tightest fit.  Idaho has mostly hot dry summers and cold dry winters so seasonal changes should be minimal.

• Like 1

Worked on the dovetail this weekend, got it almost finished, realized I did not have the right pattern bit to route out the pins.  I swear I have every router bit known to man except the one I need!  Ordered the bit and moved on to milling and making up the leg blanks.

2F410A75-5A05-4951-ACA4-D5F488BC204E.jpeg

3C66C654-8CE3-431F-81CA-B0AA00AF6935.jpeg

1E128177-02BD-4BD5-B830-70ABC0DC7E2B.jpeg

• Like 2