Another Roubo!!!

Take a look at Matt Estlea’s video series on YouTube, he builds his Roubo with this style of joint.  It is a great video series and Matt is a very talented and humorous host, kinda like the Marc of England!  Would be hilarious to get those two together.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

I'm too lazy to look them up, but I've seen that joint done for benches in several YT videos.  If done right during the benchtop lamination, like David Barron did, it should be pretty easy to do.

I am not using a laminated top.  Solid slabs.  But lets get back to the OP's build.  Sorry for causing the detour.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim DaddyO said:

I am not using a laminated top.  Solid slabs.  But lets get back to the OP's build.  Sorry for causing the detour.

Ha, keeping a Roubo Build on track is like trying to make mdf with your sawdust. Sounds possible, doesn't happen.

• Like 1

Got a little work done this weekend, getting warm now so my shop time usually starts to wind down around 1:00 PM.  Routed in the mortises on the top for the base, champhered the legs, routed out the deadman slot and did some shaping on chop.  Pretty happy with the fit of the base to the top, have one gap about 0.005” where the top rail is slightly below the leg shoulder.  Pretty important to get the drawbore hole in the tenon centered exactly to the hole in the legs!

BFA35552-E35A-41D4-B75F-F8959A5F6997.jpeg

33308054-375A-4659-8CFE-B91794CDE33D.jpeg

3ECE79C4-414E-4E80-8551-AADF7927D621.jpeg

E1093FD6-CA9E-41E1-B1BE-692A0AD1DD2C.jpeg

4AED1D6E-026C-4012-AA8A-924188AC4382.jpeg

462604F6-36FB-4654-BC9E-1492873B2A9C.jpeg

BDAF7AB8-A845-4D65-B1CA-513DC293B29B.jpeg

• Like 1

Brendon, it is very nice maple, I got it from Bell Forest products, not much of a selection for hardwood in this part of Idaho.  We have one place up in Coeur D Alene but their prices are rediculous, I can get my hardwood delivered to my door about 30% cheaper than driving 45 minutes to pick it up!  I have found the guys at Bell to be very good to work with and I usually get the lumber in 8-10 days.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Yup, that's a bench right there!

Great job. What's a best practice tip while it's fresh you found helped you in your build. A lot of guys start their builds, in the journals.

Brendon, that is a tough question.  I pretty much followed Marc’s video instruction on the build and just took my time.  Unlike you there is no way I could build this bench in 17 days!  It is actually a fairly straight forward project, nothing too complex in the build other than dealing with large pieces of wood.  It is imperative your jointer and planer are dialed in perfectly to get nice square pieces.  I quickly found my jointer beds were not perfectly co-planer and it shows up quickly on long pieces of stock.  You make a lot of planer shavings in this project, I think I emptied my 55 gal dust collection bin 4 times during the build.  The other thing is to purchase a good 1/2” uncut spiral bit (I have a Whiteside 2” long bit) and a good strong plunge router with a good edge guide.  I am fortunate to have a Festool OF2200 so the work went very smoothly.  I think the last learning for me was getting the offset drawbore holes perfectly in line with the holes in the legs is critical, if the offset hole is off centerline of the holes in the legs the rail will draw in and slightly up or down if alignment is off, even with tight fitting tenons.  As I said in the beginning I wish I built this project years ago when I started using hand tools in my work, it will be the most used tool in my shop!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I think Looks great. These benches are awesome. Some day I'll get around to building one but they aren't a small time or money investment.

You’re right about that but I will tell you for me my bench and hand tools took my Woodworking to a whole new level. Can you do it cheaper yep but what fun would that be :)

15 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I think Looks great. These benches are awesome. Some day I'll get around to building one but they aren't a small time or money investment.

Nut, don’t wait too long, I wish I built this bench years ago.  I agree it is a large investment (although so were those beautiful chairs you built) but it will last your lifetime and probably someone else’s so the sooner you build the lower your cost per year! 

10 hours ago, pkinneb said:

You’re right about that but I will tell you for me my bench and hand tools took my Woodworking to a whole new level. Can you do it cheaper yep but what fun would that be :)

8 hours ago, Cheeset202 said:

Nut, don’t wait too long, I wish I built this bench years ago.  I agree it is a large investment (although so were those beautiful chairs you built) but it will last your lifetime and probably someone else’s so the sooner you build the lower your cost per year! 

Well i have to wait at least 7 weeks. I have no way to get lumber ... I'm hoping to do this in 2019 but it's going to be a battle between the bench and a cedar strip canoe. This is why it gets put off. I always think of things i'd like that aren't shop tools that I'd rather make.