Leveling bed for van

treesner

Ideally, level the van. If you must level the bed, I see two possible options that require no wrench:

- Vertical cam levers under the bed, with a knob to fix them in position

- wedges, each leg with a wedge shape cut off at the bottom, mounted on a rail. Then another wedge that slides over that rail, under the leg. no need for locking mechanism as long as the wedges run from the center of the bed towards the corners.

20 minutes ago, kyokahn said:

Ideally, level the van. If you must level the bed, I see two possible options that require no wrench:

- Vertical cam levers under the bed, with a knob to fix them in position

- wedges, each leg with a wedge shape cut off at the bottom, mounted on a rail. Then another wedge that slides over that rail, under the leg. no need for locking mechanism as long as the wedges run from the center of the bed towards the corners.

Good ideas, can you explain the vertical cam levers idea? 

3 hours ago, treesner said:

Good ideas, can you explain the vertical cam levers idea? 

quick sketch - possibly the weirdest possible implementation, but might give you an idea. Friction should be more than enough, but any flat areas of the lever would have more hold. https://www.tinkercad.com/things/7zpsHovSXgH-grand-vihelmo-tumelo/editv2?sharecode=yO7-NaoERvJBEoCsFNXLAYSp0FsDioHF8ayfUPgTw_4=

2 hours ago, AceHoleInOne said:

Maaaaaaaaan......get some blocks of 2x4 lumber and cut the fronts off to make a wedge so ya can drive up on them. That's what we did. Heck of a lot easier, throw a level on the floor to figure what side (s) need to come up.  

-Ace-

this

11 hours ago, legenddc said:

They make these - https://www.etrailer.com/Wheel-Chocks/Blaylock-Industries/EZ-JACK.html

Or I saw someone had an idea of using the trailer jacks to level the vehicle, but I think you could make it work for a mattress - https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-swing-back-trailer-jack-41005.html

I’ve got those they don’t work on steep dirt hills, plus I usually only camp for a night or two before moving on. Just want to level my bed not my vehicle unless I’ll be there for awhile 

Is to bad you couldn't have the threaded rod coming up from the front and rear of the bed like a race car jacking bolt.   After adjusting you could use some pipe insulation or plastic pipe on the posts so you don't get cut. You could use a drill on the wielded nuts to adjust quickly.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...