Loving having a big jointer!

Mick S

2 hours ago, SeventyFix said:

That machine looks very familiar.  But mine has a lot more junk around it. How do you like the regular calls (every 6-8 months or so) from Felder?  They called me this morning.

I love hearing from my rep :) Such a nice person

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SeventyFix said:

That machine looks very familiar.  But mine has a lot more junk around it. How do you like the regular calls (every 6-8 months or so) from Felder?  They called me this morning.

Off topic, but where did you say you got the hides for your chairs? 

On 6/21/2018 at 4:20 PM, Mick S said:

Off topic, but where did you say you got the hides for your chairs? 

https://www.rodenleather.com/  They're a family business out of Michigan.  Not the cheapest but really nice quality leather.  2 chairs & 2 ottomans = 3 hides.  The nice thing about this operation is that you can buy 2 hides and place 1 (from the same dye lot) on hold.  That way, if your upholsterer needs a third hide (which mine did) then you still have a hide from the same dye lot.  Leather is expensive - a LOT more than fabric.  But it looks so nice, feels great, will last a long time (fabric will too).  If I were to do it over again (and I will not, at this point), I would choose a deeper grain leather.  I tried to purchase buffalo hides but couldn't find a source.  Something more "rustic".  But overall, I'm very satisfied.  I actually did not like the Morris chairs much when I started the project.  It was an idea of a friend of mine (from a Dallas woodworking club).  Four guys started the project (my friend started 4 chairs when we began).  I joined to work with these guys, learn, camaraderie, etc.  Quickly everyone fell out of the project.  A year or two later, to my knowledge, my chairs are the only ones completed out of the group.

BTW, now that I've had the chairs for awhile, I absolutely love them.  I sit in them all of the time.  They're very comfortable.  Everyone who comes over comments on them.  I cannot wait to get into another woodworking project.  But right now, I'm busy with work and accumulated janitorial tasks around this 12 year old house (everything is starting to wear out at just about the same time!).

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. I agree regarding the leather. I've been looking at several sources and so many samples I'm dizzy. In the end, I decided to go with fabric and got it ordered this morning. Of course, the one my wife and I really liked was from Ralph Lauren, so $0.00 savings from leather. Had I gone with leather I would have gone deep grain. There is a "buffalo" textured leather that really caught my eye.

The club you're in is the successor club to one I helped put together back in the early '80's, the N TX Woodworkers Guild. I ran it the first couple of years (at one point we had almost 300 members) before handing the reigns over for a couple of years. After that, it just sort of dissolved until the club you're in formed in the early '90s. I'm sure we have several mutual ww friends.

14 hours ago, Mick S said:

Thanks for the info. I agree regarding the leather. I've been looking at several sources and so many samples I'm dizzy. In the end, I decided to go with fabric and got it ordered this morning. Of course, the one my wife and I really liked was from Ralph Lauren, so $0.00 savings from leather. Had I gone with leather I would have gone deep grain. There is a "buffalo" textured leather that really caught my eye.

The club you're in is the successor club to one I helped put together back in the early '80's, the N TX Woodworkers Guild. I ran it the first couple of years (at one point we had almost 300 members) before handing the reigns over for a couple of years. After that, it just sort of dissolved until the club you're in formed in the early '90s. I'm sure we have several mutual ww friends.

Even the leather work itself is more expensive than the fabric work.  More people do fabric work than leather work, which is more specialized.  Either works and both look good.