(Sigh)....Roubo time

• 3 weeks later...

Hit a snag....the hole I drilled is slightly off. I am using the barrel nuts from BC, and I basically need to scoot the hole over about 1/4.” I see two options:

1) chisel out the section to the right and put the barrel but in there( it’s the underside of the bench, and it doesn’t bother me)

2) plug the hole and drill a new one.

Thoughts?

61254C84-69AC-4DC3-A92C-C27BED455FB6.jpeg

Got the hole patched and scorched over an 8th of an inch. Everything works! In a related note, my benchcrafted kit didn’t include the flange bolts for the tail vise. I emailed them, and the sent them out that day. 

Ripped another piece of maple for the dog hole strip and front laminate.

I am going with round dogs. Feel free to rap on that.

E9AC137C-8C89-4B9B-8248-0785A1C6003B.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Johnny4 said:

Got the hole patched and scorched over an 8th of an inch. Everything works! In a related note, my benchcrafted kit didn’t include the flange bolts for the tail vise. I emailed them, and the sent them out that day. 

Ripped another piece of maple for the dog hole strip and front laminate.

I am going with round dogs. Feel free to rap on that.

E9AC137C-8C89-4B9B-8248-0785A1C6003B.jpeg

Levi's, Wrangler, Carhart.  Your pick.

I used round holes in my Roubo for a couple of reasons: simplicity and versatility.  Although I like the look of the traditional square dogs, having the round ones, along with a couple of hold fasts, makes life very easy.  I'm not 100% finished my bench (still working on ornamentation for the leg vise chop), but I've already started on my next project, and I'm using that front row of round holes with both the end vise and the hold fasts interchangeably.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Heya,

Dog hole strip done, dovetails cut. I have a quick question. I am about to rout the pins. I am using a 1/2” diameter by 1” pattern bit. Can I REALLY dig that thing in all the way  against the little 1/4” ledge the bearing is supposed to ride on? Every article I have found says go for it, but take it slow. I have always routed in 1/8” passes, and I am afraid I will have to dip into my baby’s stash of diapers plowing a full 1 inch bit into it. Unless you all tell me it’s ok. 

2 hours ago, Johnny4 said:

Heya,

Dog hole strip done, dovetails cut. I have a quick question. I am about to rout the pins. I am using a 1/2” diameter by 1” pattern bit. Can I REALLY dig that thing in all the way  against the little 1/4” ledge the bearing is supposed to ride on? Every article I have found says go for it, but take it slow. I have always routed in 1/8” passes, and I am afraid I will have to dip into my baby’s stash of diapers plowing a full 1 inch bit into it. Unless you all tell me it’s ok. 

Don't do something your gut instinct is saying not to. Your gut feeling has been trained your whole life to keep you safe. If you are comfortable taking it in passes, do that!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Johnny4 said:

Heya,

Brendon's right, don't do something you're not comfortable with. I had the same feeling about it, so what I did was to use a handsaw to cut about 1/8" away from the line and use my chisels to roughly chop out the waste. That way, I was only routing a small amount of wood, so I figured it wasn't as risky. I did that a few times in the Roubo, where I roughly removed waste by hand then just used the router to clean up. That being said, I'm sure it is fine as long as you slowly take off a small amount of wood at a time, rather than trying to immediately bury the bit in the wood.

• 2 weeks later...

Been working away a couple of hours a night. I’m glued up! We will have a functioning tail vise this weekend. The flush trim bit worked just like the video (and half of the internet) said it would. 

Heya,

F6CA23C7-5B59-49C8-BD9D-5FA3141EF47B.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Tail vise in, legs milled. Now it’s a router party. 

Been working away a couple of hours a night. I’m glued up! We will have a functioning tail vise this weekend. The flush trim bit worked just like the video (and half of the internet) said it would. 

Heya,

4B0FBACC-26CD-47B6-8A44-BAA717CE57B1.jpeg

4DD14A16-8397-495E-B94C-2CA9B0504A1B.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Quick question...the ends of the mortises I cut aren’t super clean. It was my first time routing that deep, and there are “steps” in the ends of them. What’s the best way to clean those up? My ideas are:

1) drill press with forstner bit

2) router with spiral bit and make a slow, controlled plunge.

Thoughts? Better suggestions?

My issue there is “ won’t that square the mortise I rounded?”

Quick question...the ends of the mortises I cut aren’t super clean. It was my first time routing that deep, and there are “steps” in the ends of them. What’s the best way to clean those up? My ideas are:

1) drill press with forstner bit

2) router with spiral bit and make a slow, controlled plunge.

Thoughts? Better suggestions?