(Sigh)....Roubo time

• 4 weeks later...

Hey! Hit a snag in the old workflow department....namely, I started back to work. I teach school, so getting my sea legs back takes till about Labor Day. Anyhoo....in the process of initial flattening of the top and squaring up. I'm just a hair under 4".....3 15/16 to be specific. How do I account for this down the road? That is...where will this come back to bite me?

Hope y'all are enjoying your holiday!

The height of the bench is so personal that you should be sitting for the finished height you want. On a roubo, the height elements are the top thickness and base. Now that you know your top thickness, go at the base, giving a bit to take off in final flattening. 

I forget what height the specs on the plans give you at the end, but I hope you have figured out what height you need your bench to be and are building the height to that, not that the plan calls for.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tenon is done...took my time getting everything really square. Off to find a router bit for the screw cavity. The recommendation is a 1/2 shank, 1/2” diameter....what about overall length? Spiral upcut?

I am also making a southpaw version of the bench before you guys get up in it.

8FBDD827-47CD-4631-BB68-2388C2F6CB87.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey y’all. Had to get through the holidays. Had some drama there...my dad nearly died from a heart attack, found out we are having a girl in June, and my cat was diagnosed with cancer. In other news, my jointer is out of whack, and I have been learning how to tune it. Will have it up and running soon!

Bleedin Blue, I got the maple from upick hardwoods in st Charles. I love them for dimensioned lumber. I love Wunderwoods for slabs, big sizes, fancy wood. Are you local?

Tenon is done...took my time getting everything really square. Off to find a router bit for the screw cavity. The recommendation is a 1/2 shank, 1/2” diameter....what about overall length? Spiral upcut?

37 minutes ago, Johnny4 said:

Hey y’all. Had to get through the holidays. Had some drama there...my dad nearly died from a heart attack, found out we are having a girl in June, and my cat was diagnosed with cancer. In other news, my jointer is out of whack, and I have been learning how to tune it. Will have it up and running soon!

Bleedin Blue, I got the maple from upick hardwoods in st Charles. I love them for dimensioned lumber. I love Wunderwoods for slabs, big sizes, fancy wood. Are you local?

Uh why? Is there something wrong with your Northpaw?

3 hours ago, Johnny4 said:

I'm in Eureka.  U-Pick is my go-to for important projects.  The guy that works there on Saturdays is a real good guy and a skilled woodworker who was banished from here a couple years ago...can't say his name or else I may be marked too.  I was at U-Pick last week and the owner (Craig, I think?) quoted me almost $6 per b/f for 8/4 maple.  I don't want to be $1000+ for lumber in this thing.

9 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

I'm in Eureka.  U-Pick is my go-to for important projects.  The guy that works there on Saturdays is a real good guy and a skilled woodworker who was banished from here a couple years ago...can't say his name or else I may be marked too.  I was at U-Pick last week and the owner (Craig, I think?) quoted me almost $6 per b/f for 8/4 maple.  I don't want to be $1000+ for lumber in this thing.

$6!!! Dang for $1.00 more i could get 4/4 walnut here....

18 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

I'm in Eureka.  U-Pick is my go-to for important projects.  The guy that works there on Saturdays is a real good guy 

He'd have doubled it if you dropped my name : )

That price is insane for Maple. Hard 8/4 clear boards are 3.16 here, and everything expensive in California

• Haha 1

I didn't get the price E :D  I had an issue with someone else on another forum that may or may not have put me in bad standing with E, so I may be in your same boat.

I know BF sells 8/4 hard maple in the $3 range, but shipping will likely be high.  I may look for a "backyard  mill" when I'm ready.  I need to sneak that bench crafted order past the wife first :huh:

1 hour ago, bleedinblue said:

Depending on when it is spotted, there is that distinct possibility.  Wouldn't be the first tool to do that :D

Don't ask me how I know that works.  Rough up the box a bit , and all of a sudden you just happened to remember that you had this equipment from some time back........ Be wary of a lie detector test.

• Haha 1

And....we’re back. Had to figure out why the jointer was acting up. After chasing some wild geese, changing and resetting the knives was the trick. New blades make everything better. I hadn’t done that before, and it was overall a good experience. I’m not scared of the jointer anymore. Milled the end cap. The advice Marc gave about giving yourself permission to spend some time setting the knives was well taken. Onward and upward!