This time I was not a day late and a dollar short

curlyoak

At a reasonable price I found 200' of some very nice cherry. It appears to be from the same log. Just one board of 8/4 the rest 4/4. the narrow pieces are 7". All heart. and half of it is very wide boards up to 17". Mostly long pieces 12 to 16'. The owner of the wood has been dead for 30 years and nobody knows how long he had it. He was a woodworker. It was found how he left it. Perfectly stored flat and dry.fullsizeoutput_1c15.thumb.jpeg.7f2b39aea589e111aaab7bafc99bc0d0.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1c16.thumb.jpeg.0ea2840d324f0b8816ff2598ade8576b.jpeg

I had no room to store it. A friend offered me space in his warehouse but it was too small. Then I asked cabinet makers supply. Nice people. No charge for the storage and Steve the owner helped me with his truck. I aim covering a night out for Steve and Robin.

Having a chat with my neighbor, they asked what will I make? I told them I am making 50 cents an hour. Then I told them I build custom so the wood is waiting for it's destiny. What and when will it be?

• Like 2

With certainty it is not mahogany. If it was it would be Honduras. And that is more valuable than cherry. There was a board of fir that had gotten dark in color from age. The seller honestly thought it was part of the load and an untrained eye would have missed. There was a weyrehouse stamp on the end grain and after I carved a sliver off with my pocket knife the argument ended. Plus I was with Steve and he was in the business of selling wood. He was almost fooled until I told him to look again. Also there was 7 boards I rejected that was mostly sap. I got no argument. I did in fairness take 3 boards with one good face with heart. I figured the good face I could find a use.

I feel obligated to be a good custodian of this score in reverence to a fellow deceased woodworker.  Among us, a lot of our stuff will end up the same way. The seller got the wood and other valuables for cleaning out a warehouse. He said there was a lot of worthwhile stuff but he earned his pay as the trash was overwhelming.

$4.50 a foot. I gave another 50 cents a foot to Steve and his wife and partner Robin, or $100. He wanted nothing. I told him if he didn't take it I was going to tell Robin. He took the money.

Pwk, you are right. Being South Florida 50 years ago we there was tons of jumbo boards of honduras. And a good guess. I can't go wrong either way but it is cherry.