First time milling!

Art

1 hour ago, Spanky said:

Art you need to try that on 8 or 10 ft  long logs cutting 4/4. ;)

Those were oak logs about 14" wide and about only 3 1/2 feet.  I can only imagine what it takes to mill up an 8 or 10 foot log.  Just handling the logs is a challenge without the proper equipment.  The largest was easily north of 150 lbs.  I only milled them enough make them small enough to finish resawing on the bandsaw, so it it mostly 16/4.

I will admit to spending several hours yesterday looking at Youtube videos about hobbyist sized bandsaw mills...

I'd love to have the space to be able to do this regularly, but that sadly that won't happen anytime soon.

28 minutes ago, martym said:
Nice work.
There is some thing special about milling drying and taking it to a finished piece.

This hobby Is a VERY deep rabbit hole.
Now get out and plant some trees for your grand kids to enjoy.

I completely agree. The only thing better would to have planted the seed/nut. But it is neat about saying you cut that sucker down and later, much later, you made it into something, I’m at that point. But now, at my age, no way would I do that again. Now, I just call a stronger back than me, aka Spanky, and place my order.

51 minutes ago, Spanky said:

You can get sawdusts in your blood! I have had it in my blood for years. :) If you get sawdusts in your blood you can’t get it out.

So true, milling is very addictive, I know I've got sawdust in my blood.

It's a lot of work to do it with a chainsaw mill, but with a chainsaw mill you can take the mill to the log instead of hauling the logs around. If you are going to mill with a chainsaw you need to learn how to keep your chains sharp and your back in shape. 

I start milling soon, I'll put down a thread showing how I go about it. 

I'd love to do some milling as well and am tempted to buy a chainsaw to do it. My other thought is to make a trailer for hauling large logs and just take them to the plothera of sawmills in the area.

I know next year one of my projects has to take down a really nice size honey locust tree probably 28" and a good 25' strait and clear. I want to ask for it and mill it really baddly.

7 minutes ago, Spanky said:

Chestnut you need to get a man’s size chainsaw to mill with, the bigger the better for milling.  Don’t get a toy chainsaw to mill with.

You know Spanky, buying chainsaws can get addicting also. I have 6 now and I find myself still looking at them. I got my larger saws used or bought refurbished ones. I learned to port the mufflers so they breath better and run cooler.

40 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I'd love to do some milling as well and am tempted to buy a chainsaw to do it. My other thought is to make a trailer for hauling large logs and just take them to the plothera of sawmills in the area.

I know next year one of my projects has to take down a really nice size honey locust tree probably 28" and a good 25' strait and clear. I want to ask for it and mill it really baddly.

Another option is to look for a mill that can go to the tree. If it's just one tree and it is accessible, that might be the easiest.

17 minutes ago, Bmac said:

You know Spanky, buying chainsaws can get addicting also. I have 6 now and I find myself still looking at them. I got my larger saws used or bought refurbished ones. I learned to port the mufflers so they breath better and run cooler.

Bmac you need to run one that has had the cylinder ported and the cylinder cut on the bottom with around 200 psi. At one time I loved to build them that way. I would ship chainsaws all over the US, hopped up to cut timber and racing saws. If you ever run one hopped up, you want have a stock saw anymore.

Make sure you run 32:1 oil , 4 ounces of oil to one gal of gas.

19 minutes ago, Spanky said:

Bmac you need to run one that has had the cylinder ported and the cylinder cut on the bottom with around 200 psi. At one time I loved to build them that way. I would ship chainsaws all over the US, hopped up to cut timber and racing saws. If you ever run one hopped up, you want have a stock saw anymore.

Make sure you run 32:1 oil , 4 ounces of oil to one gal of gas.

No I've never run a saw with a ported cylinder. Maybe I should send you one of my saws so you can rebuild it. 

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

If you want to try a chainsaw mill before you buy let me know...full disclosure some set up required LOL. I've had a Panthermill for a couple years but never put it together. I also have a Stihl 660 with a 36" bar which although not the largest Stihl should work.

16 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

If you want to try a chainsaw mill before you buy let me know...full disclosure some set up required LOL. I've had a Panthermill for a couple years but never put it together. I also have a Stihl 660 with a 36" bar which although not the largest Stihl should work.

Which one do you have? Not the pantherpro mill? I keep seeing these carriage chainsaw mills and the look promising. Takes the ease of using a chainsaw mill and portability but gives it a little bit better way to use it.

The only downside to chainsaw milling is i feel like to keep costs low you really need to learn how to rebuild your own saw.

I just bought a chains saw 2 ish weeks ago and i'd probably get laughed off the forum if i posed a picture of it. It was perfect for what we needed it for though.

8 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Which one do you have? Not the pantherpro mill? I keep seeing these carriage chainsaw mills and the look promising. Takes the ease of using a chainsaw mill and portability but gives it a little bit better way to use it.

The only downside to chainsaw milling is i feel like to keep costs low you really need to learn how to rebuild your own saw.

I just bought a chains saw 2 ish weeks ago and i'd probably get laughed off the forum if i posed a picture of it. It was perfect for what we needed it for though.

Its the Panthermill II 42". I live on 5 acres and have oak wilt so I have a couple chainsaws and my son in law has several more :) 

My original thought was to make a mill and bought this as a starter but honestly I think I would rather be woodworking then milling but we will see...

34 minutes ago, Spanky said:

Come on Chestnut post the pic of the Poulan Wild Thing. :ph34r:

I have more dignity than that. I bought a Stihl MS170. Just a little under powered guy but my dad and i were using it from a bucket truck to trim trees and didn't want some thing heavy hanging halfway out of a bucket in a totally safe manner. Trimmed the 2 closest oaks in the picture below. Lucky me i don't have a picture of kiddie chain saw.

9243372_CassLakeFall022Share.thumb.jpg.05d53835b359c7c9075c8a05ae1c0a21.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

Its the Panthermill II 42". I live on 5 acres and have oak wilt so I have a couple chainsaws and my son in law has several more :) 

My original thought was to make a mill and bought this as a starter but honestly I think I would rather be woodworking then milling but we will see...

To the GIS maps to find all 5 acres lots with an owner named paul in Anoka county .... :D

3 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Spanky, I watched one of those 'timber sports' competitions a couple weeks ago. Those racing saws are downright scary!

Anything that can go from not running to cutting three cookies off a 24" log in less than 5 seconds deserves respect.

You need to feel the hp and the chain speed with a 14 tooth sprocket. Running alky and 30% nitro. You need big arms and a few big rocks in your back pockets.

Oh they do run nitro in those? I always thought they ran a bit too good to be on gas alone.

Any of you have good resources for Sithl chainsaws their sizes and what would be good for milling. The whole chainsaw world is new to me. Yesterday i was talking to a co-worker and he wants to do some chainsaw milling as well has a few power heads but i'm not sure if they are big enough.