Brazilian rosewood and Other stuff

Damian Sexton

I may have a bunch of Brazilian rosewood in large cants up to 12x12x 20ft. I have no idea what it's worth is and/or how to tell for sure what it is but it's very old and was left at an old lumberyard where it sat with stuff growing on it for 10-30 years. Also have large cants of lignam vitae. Does anyone know what a bd ft would go for in say 6x6 x11ft long in the br.rosewood? And the lignam vitae. Also anyone in the williamstown area that would like to come help identify it I would appreciate the help and reward with some wood. 

How do you know it's Brazilian Rosewood?  By what method did you make that determination?  I mean, if it was labeled that way and the label appears to be as old as the lumber yard then that's probably accurate.  But it's been many, many years since BRW was cut into that size. 

In 1967 Brazil placed an embargo on Rosewood logs, instead preferring their mills cut the wood for export so they could keep more labor in their country.  By then the logs weren't very large and finding some even 12" wide was pretty rare.

David

2 hours ago, Damian Sexton said:

I may have a bunch of Brazilian rosewood in large cants up to 12x12x 20ft. I have no idea what it's worth is and/or how to tell for sure what it is but it's very old and was left at an old lumberyard where it sat with stuff growing on it for 10-30 years. Also have large cants of lignam vitae. Does anyone know what a bd ft would go for in say 6x6 x11ft long in the br.rosewood? And the lignam vitae. Also anyone in the williamstown area that would like to come help identify it I would appreciate the help and reward with some wood. 

I live within an hour of you and would appreciate the opportunity of seeing this. Please pm me with your location and if you would be so kind, please include pics of this fine wood. 

2 hours ago, Damian Sexton said:

I may have a bunch of Brazilian rosewood in large cants up to 12x12x 20ft.

Can you get a clear shot of a very well cleaned up section of end grain? If so I might be able to help.

Also, your "lignum vitae" may well be but there is also a good chance that it is verawood. A good end grain shot will clarify this one for sure since LV and verawood have clearly different anatomy. Brazilian rosewood can be hard to tell from some other rosewoods.

1 minute ago, difalkner said:

I see some nice color and figure but the glare in the photo is distracting.  Can you get a better photo without the glare?

David

I can't upload the other pictures for some reason. I used the same camera but it's giving me an error message. Send me an email add to send them too if that's allowed on here. 

48 minutes ago, Damian Sexton said:

I can't upload the other pictures for some reason. I used the same camera but it's giving me an error message. Send me an email add to send them too if that's allowed on here. 

I assume you are using your phone to view the site.  In that dase the forum software frequently fails to compress pictures.  

You can re-size your images manually if your phone has the software. 

My phone does not so the workaround is to text the picture to myself, save the texted picture, then post that version of the image.  A small pain, but it works.

I don't really have any plans for personal use except for maybe a little deck that I need to re-do. But I have some one by six pieces of mahogany,I think it is that I'm planning to use for that but it's very small project.  I want to find out what it's worth so I can sell it and turn it into cash. I have a band Saw Mill and I can cut some of it up,some of it might be too hard for my blades. The lignam vitae  gave me a real hard time trying to cut. 

What else is mahogany good for? I have a bunch of 1x6 &1x4 pieces. Also I took a piece of the suspected rosewood to exotic woods for Gidwani to look at and he said it's rosewood but I sure what kind exactly. That being said does anyone have an idea of how much a 6x6 x 12ft should go for ? I have a guy that's picked 2 pieces out and wants me to give him a price. 

Mahogany is good for cabinetry, instruments, and other things like that.  Go buy some WRC or treated Pine for your deck.  Is this genuine Honduras Mahogany or is it African, Sapele, or other?

It's almost unheard of these days to find a piece of BRW that size even if it was bought 50 years ago, and really the same goes for any other piece of Rosewood that size.  It doesn't appear to be Indian but could likely be Bolivian or Honduran.  If you can find pricing for those in lumber then just calculate the board feet in your piece and do the math plus at least 25% for it being so thick.  If it's BRW then use the pricing for the other species and multiply by 4 at least. 

You can contact Luthiers in your area and see if they're interested.  Looks like it would make nice backs and sides.

David