Jessem Mast-R-Lift 2?

rodger.

As I get older, I grow weary of "praying to the router gods" every time I need to change the cutter in my router table. I really would like to have the ability to change the bit from above the table. I eyed this lift a few days back, and it looks great. Problem is that it wont fit my router (big plunger), so also would require a new router. In the end, it would be quite expensive to buy a new 3.5 HP router and the lift.

The other option would be to swap out my current router with the big Triton router (001).

Does anyone have any experience with either the Jessem or the Triton (table mounted)?

The Triton would be about 1/3 the cost of the Jessem Mast-R-Lift and Power-Tek motor.

I have had the Triton in my table for about 4yrs, I started with the smaller router and after 6 months "donated" that one to my son and picked up the 001 for my table.  It has been a joy to use.  The DC is outstanding, I have never bogged it down, and the above table bit changes are great on my poor knees.  There are complaints about the router not maintaining its set bit height, but I am convinced those users don't lock the router in place before they use it.  Some people also complain about having to lock the power switch before raising the bit, to me this is just makes the router safe, and eliminates the possibility of an accidental start when changing the bit.  

I have a cast iron table from Grizzly, and putting a lift in was not an option,  (I took it to a machinist to see if they could cut in space for a plate, the answer was no.)  I get a little envious of the fancy lifts out there, but then I look at the money saved and feel better.  Here is how I have mine mounted.

router.JPG.816bfdf2a6dc673f826efc2e61e35d24.JPG

Lower DC

DSC_0572.JPG.2a9109d81939e6aa47776761df38bbcf.JPG

I've had the big Triton in my router table for several years and it's been great. No drift issues (just remember to set the height only after raising the bit before you lock it down, as you should with any router) and fine adjustments can either be from above or, as I prefer, just reaching under and turning the micro adjust knob. The switch interlock is a nice safety feature, IMO. It does take a little getting used to.

Having said all that, I got a Sawstop cast iron table for my bday with a dust shroud and the Triton is too big for the shroud. I have a PC 7518 with a Woodpeckers 420 V2 lift coming this afternoon. I'll update you once I get them installed tomorrow.

• Like 1

Hey Rodger, I have the Incra incarnation of the Jessem mounted in a Bench Dog cast iron table. 

20181128_071523.thumb.jpg.9baca5a113657add85dc46c5238a0351.jpg

Seems to be the same thing as in your picture except the inserts are metal.  I'm not sure what I can tell you about it as I'm not a power user, in fact I bought the table and lift a year and a half ago when I came accross A Deal.  I have a Porter Cable router. 

So you crank the handle and the bit goes up or down.  Very smooth operation and sub 1/64" increnents.  Pull the insert out and the bit is easy to change.  I keep meaning to buy the offset wrenches and keep forgetting.  I probably don't really need them.  I never use the lock mechanism and have not had a problem, but it's not like I ever run a hundred feet of molding through this, either.  Since I've gotten into turning I mostly use it to square up turning blanks.  

On the potentially negative side:  there are 12 leveling screws, but I can't seem to get the lift plate perfectly flush with the table top.  I always feel a tiny edge somewhere.  This is just as likely to be a problem with the table or opperator error as the lift-I really should spend some more time on it, but I haven't made this a life goal.  

Any specific questions?  Maybe somebody else has more experience with the lift.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Just Bob said:

I have had the Triton in my table for about 4yrs, I started with the smaller router and after 6 months "donated" that one to my son and picked up the 001 for my table.  It has been a joy to use.  The DC is outstanding, I have never bogged it down, and the above table bit changes are great on my poor knees.  There are complaints about the router not maintaining its set bit height, but I am convinced those users don't lock the router in place before they use it.  Some people also complain about having to lock the power switch before raising the bit, to me this is just makes the router safe, and eliminates the possibility of an accidental start when changing the bit.  

I have a cast iron table from Grizzly, and putting a lift in was not an option,  (I took it to a machinist to see if they could cut in space for a plate, the answer was no.)  I get a little envious of the fancy lifts out there, but then I look at the money saved and feel better.  Here is how I have mine mounted.

router.JPG.816bfdf2a6dc673f826efc2e61e35d24.JPG

Lower DC

DSC_0572.JPG.2a9109d81939e6aa47776761df38bbcf.JPG

Thanks for the reply - this is all good info. I am trying to avoid having to lock the router from underneath the table as well. Ideally, I would like full control from above the table for height adjustment, locking, and bit changes. I was curious if the triton router had to be locked when using the "table" mode.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so i made a choice. I bought the Mast-R-Lift 2 and the Jessem PowerTek 3.25 HP router. Its a great set up!

I'll take some photos and post some pics shortly. I just finished installing all the parts, and then reinstalling them (the instructions kinda suck).

• Like 2

I need to do the same thing.  I've been avoiding buying a lift because it will mean a new router, and to me, it's not a "sexy" purchase since I only really use the RT for edge profiles and pattern routing.  

Maybe it'll be my next "big" buy.  Or maybe Roubo hardware will be. :unsure:  It never ends. 

38 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

I need to do the same thing.  I've been avoiding buying a lift because it will mean a new router, and to me, it's not a "sexy" purchase since I only really use the RT for edge profiles and pattern routing.  

Maybe it'll be my next "big" buy.  Or maybe Roubo hardware will be. :unsure:  It never ends. 

Get a shaper then? ... :D. Seriously there are used 3 hp powermatic sharpers all over for cheaper than  most of the high end router tables with a new router.... well at least around here there are.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/tls/d/fs-powermatic-single-phase/6744483735.html

You've got moving heavy machines down and your getting wired for 240v. :P

• Like 1

One other option is the big Milwaukee 3 1/4hp router. It's base is set up so you can raise and lower the router from above. You mount the base to a baseplate, and then drill a hole in a certain location so the adjustment wrench fits into the base and engages the adjustment screw. 

I found out about this after I bought my Jessem Mastr lifter. But I really like the router. Best I have ever had.