Dresser

Chris1968

I agree with Tpt life. The drawers were veneered in quarter sawn white oak. The stripes are called rays or ray flecks and are a sought-after feature and the very reason the maker chose this veneer. It was very popular in the Arts and Crafts period. 

You have two options - re-veneer the bottom drawer or sand the veneer off the other drawers. That would still leave the top which is most likely solid quarter sawn WO. Sand all day and the stripes will still be there.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tpt life said:

@Chris1968 please keep us in the loop with how you took this input and whether or not you need follow up help. We truly do enjoy helping here and are not into solely sniping mistakes. 

For sure! I don't think there's a single one of us that hasn't done much dumber stuff than that. There's guys on here that are capable of work that would knock your socks off & they love to help others. I'd really like to see how this turns out.

Check out he table that @Ronn W is building right now. It's got some outstanding veneer work on it. Octagonal table

8 minutes ago, Chris1968 said:

Thanks for the info,is that veneer really thin? It must be I barely sanded it when the stripes disappeard,i think I will sand all down then use tung oil finish I think it will still look great,thanks I really learned alot from this.i will let you know how it comes out.havnt done much furniture, my experience is chainsaw carving which is alot different 

Veneer is commonly around 1/40” thick, or about half a millimeter, so it can be easy to accidentally sand through it. Especially if using lower grit sandpaper on any powered sander.

If you purchased this dresser second hand, you also don’t know if previous owners had sanded and refinished the drawer fronts at some point, leaving the veneer even thinner. 

It looks like there are some areas on other drawers where the veneer is nearly worn through. Like on the 2nd drawer down, just to the left of the lock and under the left knob. 

Out of curiosity, what was your process for sanding it (grits used, type of sander or by hand).

In this latest photo it looks like the other drawers had previously been sanded & some veneer is gone. So you lose nothing by taking it all off. If you decide you want the veneer back, you can just get more & redo all the drawers.

BTW, that veneer is quarter sawn oak (probably white oak) & those "tiger stripes" are the ray fleck that shows prominently when the log is sawn radially. It's a beautiful look.