Octagonal Table

Ronn W

The customizable miter jig is impressive ! Table top & base look great !

Sanding veneer any way except by hand either takes nerves of steel, the confidence of experience or ignorance.  A high end ROS, fine grit abrasives, experience and laser sharp focus works but it's still risky. Hand sanding and sharp card scrapers may take time and effort but doing it over after a disaster is painful.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Ron this was like reading a novel with all the success and hardships like a good story.

Great, I can cross "write a novel" off my bucket list.

I finally decided on the final finish for the top.  I want the Chatoyance of the wood but think that I will stop short of a polished high gloss finish (shoes every little defect)  Last coat or 2 will be satin MIN-wax fast dry poly.  So far I have 2 coats of clear shellac and 1 coat of gloss poly on it.   The grain is pretty tight so I should be able to get it to fill in completely.

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

Sanding veneer any way except by hand either takes nerves of steel, the confidence of experience or ignorance.  A high end ROS, fine grit abrasives, experience and laser sharp focus works but it's still risky. Hand sanding and sharp card scrapers may take time and effort but doing it over after a disaster is painful.

I had a box project that looked good until I applied the finish. Then the damn little circles from the residue of the veneer tape appeared.  Learned to be a little more agressive with my sanding but not much.  Onthis table, I used a clothes steamer to soften the tape glue just enough to peal or scrap it off easily.  Then went to 120 grit on the ROS lightly and stopped when the tape pattern was gone.  Then 2 light passes with 180 grit.  Stop.  Having a frame helps a great deal since san throughs often occur at the edges and corners.

1 hour ago, Mick S said:

Great job on this project, Ronn! The more veneer work I do, the more I enjoy it. It allows for a level of design freedom you just can't get with solid wood. Nice jigs! 

I totally agree. but I have to admit that making sawdust is more fun.

Final pics in a few days.

• Like 2

Incredible work Ronn and thank you for walking us through your process. Your attention to detail with grain matching is superb. As a novice at this craft, I see things like this and aspire to them one day, but don’t feel like I’ll ever quite get there. And I think a table like this will leave a far better legacy for your family than any novel that might be written.

• Like 1