SawStop inadvertent brake activation causes

Ron Swanson Jr.

On 11/20/2022 at 6:35 AM, JohnSH said:
On 12/28/2018 at 8:56 AM, Mark J said:

I have a 4 month old SS pro table saw. Yesterday the brake activated, either at the very end of a cut or after. Didn’t hear or sense anything. Went to cut again - red light was on and blade was immobile. No visible damage to the blade. Wood was totally dry. Kiln dried white oak. Any idea why?

I second Chet's question.  Did the safety feature fire and drop the blade below the table?  If not then something else is going on.

On 3/9/2022 at 8:51 AM, gee-dub said:

I would absolutely send them the cartridge.  That way you would have a definitive answer.  Not necessarily one you may like but, definitive. 

As to staples and bullets.  I have sawn right through embedded material.  Small items don't seem to have enough conductive effect on their own.  I have triggered the saw when I have accidentally cut something conductive while I am touching that conductive thing by holding the material against a miter gauge.  The system is made to detect the skin that wraps up us big ole bags o' water :).

After my first dumb-guy move of trying to saw conductive (anti-static) UHMW I became real careful.  If there is any suspicion I make a cut in safe mode.  The thing that'll tick you off is if you had no reason to suspect or bother to test in safe mode and you fire the system :angry:.

I cut thru a staple one time and a piece of the staple caught between the brake and blade and activated it. Right place and activation.

Sent  the cartridge in and it was source of activation. I think in 7 years I have activated the Sawstop system 4 times. 2 times were operator error and twice Sawstop error.