New Jointer Vibration - What's acceptable ?

procell40

Had my Grizzly G0856 (8" - 72" bed) delivered last week. Set everything up , runs great.

Only issue is "the nickle test" (where you put a nickle on edge , turn on the machine , and it should stay upright)

Nickle is just fine , except for the last 12 inches on the beds , then they fall over instantly and  vibrate loudly . the rest of the bed is rock solid.

Is that normal for long bed jointers? I made sure my pulley heads were parallel and co planar , belt is brand new , haven't run more than 5 BF through it.

Just making sure i don't have any issues that might shorten the life of my new jointer 

Thanks!

656189869_20190110_202821-Copy.thumb.jpg.12d3ae1d5a6d5f67f008af424d0928c7.jpg

1 minute ago, Tom King said:

Are those rubber feet under it?   It should be okay though.   I'm a little surprised it would pass a nickel test anywhere on it.

Those are the factory leveling feet.

The "Built in mobile base" isn't great , the wheels don't pivot , so it's awkward. I Removed the factory wheels and the leveling feet. 

I put it on a Powermate Mobile Base after I took this picture , which might remove , since i think the machine is clearly heavier than what the base can hold. 

I rebuilt both my Delta DJ-15 6" jointer (now sold) and my PM 54A 6" long bed jointer and used the flex belt (or power twist belt, whatever you call them - the red link belts).  Both passed the nickel test from start up to final cutterhead rotation.  The DJ-15 set on the floor and the PM 54A is on the PM mobile base. 

If yours passes the nickel test everywhere except out on the ends of the beds then I'd say it's going to be fine.  And that's a great looking jointer, btw!  I sure wish I had an 8" but 6" is all I could find locally in the used market.

David

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, difalkner said:

If yours passes the nickel test everywhere except out on the ends of the beds then I'd say it's going to be fine.  And that's a great looking jointer, btw!  I sure wish I had an 8" but 6" is all I could find locally in the used market.

David

Thanks!

after my 5th or 6th time missing getting an 8" used jointer on craiglist "by a few hours" . I gave up and just bit the bullet with buying new. Hopefully the last jointer purchase i'll ever have to make!

• Like 1

I have that.same.jointer and like it. When I got mine, it made a racket - something loose and rattling. Traced it to the motor. I called Grizzly and they sent me a new motor. After swearing for a few minutes while installing it, it worked fine. They told me not to bother sending the old motor back, so I started digging to see what the problem was. Turns out that the detent drilled.for the fan setscrew wasn't large enough in diameter. Two minutes with a drill solved the problem and now I have motor to upgrade my bandsaw with.

Double check to make sure all your pulleys and the motor are tight. After that, if you are still worried about it, replace the belt with a link belt. They tend to take a set that causes vibration. I probably wouldn't worry about any of it. Just enjoy!

9 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Does it make a curvy board strait? I'm probably alone on this but stuff that spins in a circle vibrates.... just like concrete cracks .... and death and taxes. If it doens't make a curvy board strait then there is cause for concern.

Total agreement.  That far out on those aprons you're going to get some movement.  Like Tom, I'm surprised it passed at all.  Moving parts, inertia and all the good physics stuff says the energy has to go somewhere.

8 hours ago, procell40 said:

When did you get it ? Is it the 0856?

They just came out in November , and I couldn't find a single thing online about that model (except for people typo'ing 0586 Grizzly)

S

Darn, you are right. Mine is the G0586. They sure look alike. Mine has the push button switches, otherwise, looks the same.

23 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Does it make a curvy board strait? I'm probably alone on this but stuff that spins in a circle vibrates.... just like concrete cracks .... and death and taxes. If it doens't make a curvy board strait then there is cause for concern.

@Chestnut you are not alone in this one. I can be prone to getting sucked into a rabbit hole of chasing something that in the end doesn't matter all that much - like having a nickel stand up on its side on a jointer table.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably not much help but i just took delivery of a Grizzly G0858 (8" Parallelogram Spiral Cutter Jointer) and the machine really doesn't vibrate much at all. My only problem was that the inserts on the spiral cutter head all needed to be removed and cleaned along with the cutter head itself. I was getting some visible lines lengthwise when jointing. After cleaning and reinstalling the inserts, it cuts VERY smooth! Vibration of the machine itself is very minimal, i'd assume yours should run the same. My old Delta 37-207 vibrated a bit but still made very clean cuts. Good luck with your new machine!

• Thanks 1

On 1/26/2019 at 9:21 PM, K Cooper said:

No offense but I agree. Just for the helluva it, I tried it on my new Suburban and it fell over. But that might have been due to the acceleration? 

Don't care about the nickel test , that was just a way for me to describe the vibration. Never had a decent , long bed jointer , wasn't sure if that was normal or not. 

Good luck with the new suburban. If it starts making weird noises.....just turn up the radio ;)

• Haha 1