A Different Angle

Mark J

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Those off cuts could make some interesting handles or other turned objects.

I enjoy showing Box elder pieces to people shortly after the express strong dislike for the trees. They usually eat their hat as well.

I have to look at it some more, but one of the pieces might make a little hollow form.

What's wrong with a box elder tree?  I don't think I've ever seen one standing.

1 hour ago, Spanky said:

Well, it did have a little red in it. ;)

And fortunately I got it turned before all the red fades :).

2 minutes ago, Mark J said:

What's wrong with a box elder tree?  I don't think I've ever seen one standing

They are considered a trash tree along with walnut and cherry by those that know nothing about wood. They generate a lot of debris. Box elder also have box elder bugs.

11 hours ago, treeslayer said:

A friend made some syrup from a box elder tree like they do with maple and it was delicious, very pretty wood Rickey, and that's a beautiful bowl Mark, well done sir!

Was it pink? I saw some made somewhere and the syrup turned out with a good pink tint.

1 minute ago, Mark J said:

Is it the box elder bug that causes the red coloring in the wood grain?

Yes, but the box elder tree needs to be cut off of a creek or river bank. That one was cut 10 ft from a river bank. If you cut one on the side of the mtn it will be all white with no red coloring. The bugs like water.

1 minute ago, Spanky said:

Yes, but the box elder tree needs to be cut off of a creek or river bank. That one was cut 10 ft from a river bank. If you cut one on the side of the mtn it will be all white with no red coloring. The bugs like water.

I cut one from my tree row which is a 1/4 mile from water and there was some good red in it. I don't get the box elder bugs though. Some think it's just from any damage to the tree.

18 hours ago, treeslayer said:

A friend made some syrup from a box elder tree like they do with maple and it was delicious, very pretty wood Rickey, and that's a beautiful bowl Mark, well done sir!

While I haven't confirmed it, a former neighbor of mine who also made box elder syrup told me the trees are in the maple family.  We had other neighbors who also made syrup from birch trees.  It was very light, both in flavor and appearance.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Byrdie said:

While I haven't confirmed it, a former neighbor of mine who also made box elder syrup told me the trees are in the maple family.  We had other neighbors who also made syrup from birch trees.  It was very light, both in flavor and appearance.

Box elder is Acer Negundo. Acer is the maple family.

• Thanks 1