Non-typical domestic wood species

MitchB

I wish i had easy access to a bunch of QS sycamore. I've always thought it was a pretty wood but haven't found a source for it and it doesn't grow locally. My favorites are below.

Chestnut, but i haven't made anything from it because i only have 3 boards and well.... it's not like the tree is really around any more....

Redwood

4567890987654.thumb.jpg.6b88f425e789861e362c1deacf27b061.jpg

Birch is another favorite for both secondary wood and using figured stuff for primary wood.

5a0111efddefd_BirchCoffeeTable012Share.jpg.c9ac088a4d6e6cdf23bdec53c1b5e483.thumb.jpg.d3bbf7bb5c92bb2afcbcc9a5c9980aee.jpg

I also have some Chokecherry that is pretty interesting to work with.

22289903_10101565801443489_8928374787269952661_o.thumb.jpg.df07f86fcd35f9e021fca1daddbd530d.jpg

• Like 2

I like the sycamore but have the same supply problem as Chestnut.

I am almost done with a wall cabinet that uses Eucalyptus as the primary with mahogany door and drawers.   "Lyptus" is not very hard and its density tends to vary a little, sometimes within the same board.  It has a grain similar to mahogany although more pronounced and the color tends from light yellow into pink.  I will post the results.

I have used hackberry.  Not very hard.  Color finshes to yellowish with gray streaks with oil based finish.    Interesting when used as a door panel combined with cherry frame.

Ronn, I have used hackberry only once but I thought it was amazing! It grows like a weed here in Illinois and you can usually get it for around $0.50/bdft. When I used it, I got a lot of tan and gray streaks. It is actually harder than I would've imagined considering how fast it grows. 

Mulberry is my favorite 'atypical' domestic to date. Not extremely common, but low demand keeps the price reasonable. Straw-gold when freshly cut or planed, it slowly ages to a cinnimon brown with gold flecks, or can be 'quick-aged' with lye to a deep, uniform cocoa brown.

Beware advise concerning lumber prices. Supply and demand (and thus price) for most species varies wildly by region. Sometimes pretty small regions, at that.

Up here in BC we have a lot of Western Red Alder.  I picked up some logs that that city left on the side of the road and milled them up.  Most of it is still drying beside my house but it it pretty wood and easy to work.  The only projects I've made are some small boxes that have been painted, so there is no point posting them as they look like painted boxes.  I've never bought any, but I believe it is quite cheap around here.