Wood species matching

Cliff

Buying plywood back for a large case I'm making. Case is Walnut. My choices are Maple, Cherry, African mahagony and sapele (ribbon stripe)

Thoughts?

This will have glass sides, glass door fronts, figured Walnut shelves and I will put lighting under every shelf.

Concerned that my favorite, sapele, will be too dark.

25 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Someone mentioned in another thread and I did the same on a cherry cabinet that I built, use beaded ply and paint it. 

6 minutes ago, Chet said:

Good idea.  With Walnut something like a really dark green or hunter green.  I think that is what Bmac mentioned he like to do with Walnut.

Yes, I did mention that, a good solution and I think it's a natural match, at least to my eye. Of course, depends on other color schemes in the room. Cliff, sounds like you are concerned about it being too dark so dark green, even though looks good it may not be what you are after.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I made this post as I was leaving for the hardwood place. He only had Maple which was the direction I was leaning anyway. 

Fyi I found out today that tiger Maple ply runs $265/sheet. Then add $160 for shipping. YIKES.

On 8/16/2019 at 7:52 PM, Chestnut said:

I was going to vote cherry it's a good medium color and pairs very well grain and texture wise with walnut. The are a match made like lamb and tunafish. :D 

Does it bother you that the cherry darkens and walnut lightens over time though? I was trying to think if I'd like the look of it in 20 years type situation.

25 minutes ago, Cliff said:

Does it bother you that the cherry darkens and walnut lightens over time though? I was trying to think if I'd like the look of it in 20 years type situation.

The change is so slow and minuscule that i doubt you'll notice it. It's not like 19 years 355 days you'll be ok with the color but at 20 years your going to say "nope too light time to go". But no it doesn't really bother me. Most of what i make is cherry so it's only going to get better looking as it ages. Walnut gets a lot of hype and for good reason it's a beautiful wood and is wonderful to work but i think the fact that it ages lighter is one of the very few drawbacks one other being the price with the final one being that it tends to have more knots than cherry.

The other thing is i tend to celebrate that wood changes color instead of dread it. I love natural processes and think that if this is how nature designed it, i'm happy to be along for the ride.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

The change is so slow and minuscule that i doubt you'll notice it. It's not like 19 years 355 days you'll be ok with the color but at 20 years your going to say "nope too light time to go". But no it doesn't really bother me.

Unlike your lamb and tuna, huh? 

• Like 1